Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,508   Online: 1018

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wiseowl
    What sort of shelf life should I expect from this once started?
    The answer to that question is probably "almost forever". I've heard from other photographers that some 20 years old Rodinal in condition "dark black" was still usable. I rarely use Rodinal, but my bottle is only about 5 years old...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ann,
    I used the rodinal 1:10 (1 oz rodinal + 10oz water) in 8x10 trays to develop 4x5 paper from 4x5 contact prints and it worked fine. Of course you can make much bigger quantities (1L Rodinal + 10L water if you wish)
    my printing session lasted an hour and i did 15 prints and they were great.

the volume would probably go down if you use fibre paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ann, you ask before I did...

Deniz, Thanks for the input..now to find time..

Anyone know how to do that?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Deniz, interesting using Rodinal as paper developer. Could you post an example - better yet, same image one Rodinal and one other. I know that Don Miller is using one of the Pyro film developers for paper right now, so it makes sense that you could use Rodinal. Other than 1:10 any other special handling? Do you use it as a one shot for paper?
    I have an Azo print from Fingel (Scott) that was developed in Rodinal. It is one of the nicest Azo prints that I have seen. It has a beautiful tonal scale. I am not sure at what dilution Scott used the Rodinal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donal,
    Thanks for the additional input. Funny how you get inside a box and never consider what is outside of it..I had never considered using film developer for paper, but it makes sense.. makes me want to go doh! Been working on some postcards and may give some Rodinal a try, since I'm already using UltraBlack.
    Mike C

Rambles

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks, that makes more sense; i was having a hard time imaging 11 x 14 prints sitting in 30 oz. of fluid, or even 8 x 10's. Silly me, forgetting about contact prints :oops:

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Donal,
    Thanks for the additional input. Funny how you get inside a box and never consider what is outside of it..I had never considered using film developer for paper, but it makes sense.. makes me want to go doh! Been working on some postcards and may give some Rodinal a try, since I'm already using UltraBlack.
    Mike,

Until Scott tried the Azo in Rodinal I had never considered using a film developer for a print developer either.

My results with Pyrogallol as one of the ingredients in a paper developer have really impressed me. The tonal scale is very nice and the cost is less then 1/3 of Amidol per liter of use solution.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Hi:

Someone told me to extract developer concentrate with a syringe and drop a glass marble into the bottle each time to displace the air. That way the bottle stays full...just gets heavier as it gets empty.

I started to wonder what mystery glass marbles are made of now from China...leaded glass?

Paper neg question, if that's ok...I saw references to it here.

Considering spectral sensitivity of graded vs. VC paper, do they 'look' different? Graded is primarily blue sensitive, at least the brands I downloaded graphs for.

Does the narrow spectrum of graded lend itself better for non-achromat/non-APO experimental lenses, like a meniscus?

And if one uses paper neg, what kind of contrast can one get? I read that paper has much less range than film.

Thank you

Murray
    Holland MI
    Murray

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have developed Afgapan 100 in a Rodinal that was opened in 1963. And that negs were ok. But a little increase in time would help a bit. So for me, Rodinal has practically unlimited shelf-life.

Btw: Rodinal is my favourite. I mainly shoot ISO 100 or lower so it's perfectly fit for the job.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [quote="modafoto"]I have developed Afgapan 100 in a Rodinal that was opened in 1963. And that negs were ok. But a little increase in time would help a bit. So for me,

Can you estimate a percentage time increase you feel would have been useful ?
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin