Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,517   Posts: 1,572,187   Online: 1112

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm on my first bottle of Rodinal and I've noticed that it's started to become discoloured already. What sort of shelf life should I expect from this once started? How can I tell when it's become degraded to the point that I should discard it? What can I do to improve it's life? I suspect that flooding the top of the bottle with nitrogen or expelling all the air would help, would refrigeration help?

Having read the leaflet I couldn't find any guidance on these issues.

Regards

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The discoloration will have very little effect on the activity of the developer because the stuff is so concentrated. I would not refrigerate any developer as the solution may precipitate some of the highly concentrated components out and may not go back in solution before the developer suffers damage.
    If you have nitrogen use it for your own peace of mind. I have it for color chemicals and use it on my Rodinal just because its available, but not neccesary.
    Gary Beasley

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Rodinal has a history of longggggggggg shelve life. It does get darker with age but works just as well. In fact once when i opened a new bottle and it was clear it worried me and sent me back to my vendor to find out if the formula had been changed. It didn't stay clear long.

As was suggested if it makes you feel better then burst away.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    my rodinal is an ugly rust color(my girlfriend says "ewww.. it already went that color and you haven't even developed your film yet")

But it works great. It is really concentrated so it says active for a long time.. well there is one way to get around the discoloring.....USE IT UP!!!
    Shoot alot of film and develop them.

Last night i developed some paper in 1:10 rodinal and i am loving the results.. incredible shadow detail and highlights are glowing!!

i am gonna be using this thing more often!!

good luck and have fun...

Shooter
    35mm
    That question is almost as old as Rodinal.
    From personal experience and hearsay, it lasts almost forever. Don't worry about it's color for the next 10yrs or so in a tight closed glass bottle...

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Images
    Agreed. The term "shelf life" is meaningless to veteran Rodinal users.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks to all who replied for your advice and opinions. MInes just about getting to a straw colour so I guess I won't need to throw it out for a while :-)

And to Deniz, thanks for the tip about using it with paper, I'll give that a go in the near future.

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deniz, interesting using Rodinal as paper developer. Could you post an example - better yet, same image one Rodinal and one other. I know that Don Miller is using one of the Pyro film developers for paper right now, so it makes sense that you could use Rodinal. Other than 1:10 any other special handling? Do you use it as a one shot for paper?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wish i could post a picture but i have no scanner or a digicam that i can take pics with.

But i was amazed to see the rodinal prints glow. especially on a RC paper.
    I never use RC paper anymore other than in camera negatives or chemical testing and i really liked the results.
    1:10 is just something i decided to go with, i think its a tad too strong,
    I'll try 1:15 next

the beauty of rodinal is at 1:15 you barely use any developer at all so you can treat it as one shot and not worry about it.

Give it a try and i bet you'll like the results.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Deniz;
    I am a little confused.

a 1:10 ratio for developer would be ; I.E. 3 oz of rodinal and 30 oz of water. correct? that is about a 1 quart liquid that is a little skippy for a volume. At least in my lab.

Using as a one shot developer means one print per quart. RIght?, or do you mean 1 printing session.

I have heard about this many times, just never got around to it, just as using dektol to developer film is another interesting reverse.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin