Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,332   Posts: 1,537,370   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paper Storage

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a small fridge I got at Home Despot. I keep a couple of bottles of French wine and my unopened paper and film. It was pretty cheap but it is a noisy little *&#%%!
    Pity the dyslexic agnostic insomniac who lies awake night after night wondering if there is a dog.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i am one of those lucky ones that have a dedicated fridge for photo supplies.
    Its in my room and its a little fridge (4' tall and 3' deep)

It has all my 35mm, 120, 4x5 and 8x10 film + many boxes of 8x10 paper and 11x14 film.
    my land lord is still puzzled with the idea of keeping film in the fridge instead of food. My girlfriend is a photographer too so she is fine with the idea.

BTW many times i took a film out of the fridge and used right away without waiting for it to warm up and worked just fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Deniz, would be nice to do that, but here (Texas) Spring/Summer you could find the temp/humidity both at 90 so anything will get a little wet in a hurry unless allowed to reach room temp. - best luck I have had is to used zip lock storage bags and let them sweat, not film or paper.

From the comments so far, it seems that RC paper is pretty happy sitting on the self (as long as it is not exposed to extreme temp changes).

Can anyone comment on fiber? As stated at the beginning, not having a problem, but since I have some space in the garage, was giving some thought to an older or scratch/dent model on the cheap.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Sorry i forgot to mention all the paper in my fridge is fibre..with only one box of kodak RC.

The other day one of my friends gave me 25 years old Agfa paper that was stored on a shelf in the garage and it worked flawlessly.

A common sense is "If you can survice, so can your film" So aslong as its normal conditions.. you will be fine...

and no the trunk of your car in a texas summer is not normal...

have fun

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I read, I think, in Tim Ruman's book that Fiber can start to lose it's edge after 6 months at room temperature.
    RC I suspect is more robust.
    Having said that if I have a box of fiber that is well over 6 months old I'm gonna keep using it as required until I notice that it's going off.
    Hey I wish I could buy in bulk and store accordingly but that's not an option for me and I'm not gonna lose sleep over it!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    FWIW: I made two identical exposures today on 11x14 Polymax Fine Art FD. One from a box I bought on Tuesday, and one from a box that I have had for over a year. They were contact prints and look identical. I am "past dates" a little on the last box, and the former says, "Use before 4/05." I recently used a 14 year old sheet of Elite, Gr. II and it was toast.
    Whatever "edge" my brand new PMFA has over the two-year old stuff, I cannot see. If stored in a darkroom whose temperature always stays between 55 and 75 F., I am sure that fiber paper will last several years before it goes bad.
    I am putting the 14 year old Elite on E-bay as "pre-flashed." ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge
    Nah, fix it, wash it dry it and put it up for $10 a sheet as "Special Alt Process Paper" :roll:

(using the Bury 'Em in Balony philosophy)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckled Edge
    Nah, fix it, wash it dry it and put it up for $10 a sheet as "Special Alt Process Paper" :roll:

(using the Bury 'Em in Balony philosophy)
    Nah! It wasn't "baloney"!!
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Last night I made a few prints on some Brovira which had been stored at room temperature for 32 years. The paper was fine with good contrast and what a beautiful colour. No fog

Mark Layne
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin