Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,211   Posts: 1,531,998   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper Storage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apologies if this has been covered, but a search did not locate anything.

How do most of you store your unused paper? Such as freezer, fridge, etc. Trying to decide where to go, with limits or possible limits on what we will have available in the future, I was thinking of stocking up on some papers.

I have found that I like the look of Agfa MC Classic, 111 and not sure what is like it. Also, found that other than Ilford, most paper must be ordered so would like to store some.

Same question for film, though I have found that stored in a freezer it seems to stay stable for a long time.

Thanks,
    Mike C

Rambles

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I try to store unopened sheet film boxes in the meat keeper tray in the refrigerator when my wife will allow. Others have said that they store 35mm & roll film in original packaging in ziplock plastic bags either in refrigerator or freezer. Whichever place, just remember to allow time to warm to room temp before opening to avoid condensation. From refrig allow 1-2 hours. From freezer allow at least 3 hrs to be sure. Even better remove the night before. I usually buy paper in boxes of 25 sheets and keep at room temp. I do not store any paper in the darkroom.
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    WHY don't you store your paper in the darkroom, gma?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ka, not speaking for GMA but I would guess because of the chemicals - some such as sulfide toners will fog film and paper.

GMA - Thanks, agree about the warm up time, overnight for paper out of the freezer sounds right. Looking at a dedicated freezer/fridge for photo paper/film - OK, will still have to share with the spouse, but hey it's a thought.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I store mine in the darkroom.
    In my small house the fridge is not an option and I don't even own a freezer.
    I keep the paper in the orginal boxes and try to use any fiber paper within 6 months if possible.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    With one exception, I store all my paper in the darkroom. Some of it is now up to 20 years old, and some of it still work just fine. A few show slight fogging when processed normally, but turn out to be better than new for lith printing.

I have two boxes of Guilleminot G1 in my freezer, and one opened box in the darkroom. This paper hasn't beenmade for many years, so it's worth storing properly if I ever need to use it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Gareth & Ole I agree with you. I have just used some ten-year-old Agfa RC paper which I had in a darkroom cupboard. It is still fine.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got in the habit of keeping paper in the air conditioned house when I had a darkroom in a corner of the garage.

gma
    [FONT=Century Gothic][/FONT][SIZE=7][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkOrange][/COLOR] I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm lucky enough to have a full sized fridge in the basement for my film and paper. Actually getting a fridge for film is not that expensive if you buy used, its finding a place to put it thats the problem. A lot of people don't have room for an extra fridge, even the mini fridges that other folks use for beer. Just make sure the fridge has good seals so it doesn't sweat all over the contents and make it soggy.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have my azo stored in my darkroom which is fairly dry and cool. I hear azo stores really well so hope I have nothing to worry about...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin