Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,667   Online: 909

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I picked up some cheap Cachet Structura Lux that was probably old stock to experiment with a bit. It seems like an interesting material (photo linen that can be mounted on a stretcher and handled like any kind of fabric), but fresh stock is pricy, so I figure this is a way to learn how to handle it. I realize that out of date paper can have some base fog, but I was getting off-the-scale levels of base fog and way-too-short exposure times.

Recommended development time is 3 minutes in a high energy developer and the nominal printing speed is on the fast side, but not out of the ordinary.

I was processing in Agfa Neutol WA (1+7) and after the first couple of test strips added 1 oz/quart of Edwal Liquid Orthazite (i.e., the maximum recommended dosage). 3 minutes was just too foggy, so I eventually cut down to 50 seconds, and still had a kind of light gray background and a generally flat look, and exposure was 15 sec. at f:11, even with such a short development time.

Is this normal for this stuff? Do I just have a lousy batch, or is Neutol WA an inappropriate developer? Other developers I have on hand are Dektol, and I can mix up various amidol developers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you tried lith developer?
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Not yet. This was just my first attempt. I looked back at the tech sheet, and I'm thinking I just chose the wrong developer. The instructions say that "low energy" developers will produce muddy results. I don't think of Neutol-WA 1+7 as "low energy," but maybe as a warmtone developer it has some ingredient common to developers that produce muddy results, and that's what's at fault.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

david...
    my experiance with the old papers (very out of date, namly the agfa protagia) is that nothing really helps, and it doesnt worth the efforts even for proof-like prints, surely not for prints for exhebition or any high quality needs.
    if u can, just change it in the shop for a new verssion if u like the paper generally.
    i want to start to use it (the maco or the fotospeed) soon instead of liqued emulssion (at those times that i apply the liqueed the way that this maco will look about the same).
    victor

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Fogged paper is often great for lith printing. If that's not what you want, a liberal dose of benzotriazol (and to a lesser extent KBr) will suppress fog.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin