Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,043   Posts: 1,560,835   Online: 1159

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For what it's worth, it's a wonderful thing to do, to give stuff away that you wouldn't normally or ever use. It's better that it gets used than it just fading away.
    Lith printers (other than me) might be interested also, as lith printing usually doesn't display fog problems unless it's really really bad. I've printed on Agfa Portriga and Brovira paper that goes pretty much black in regular developer, without exposure to light, and it still works in lith if you overexpose like a madman.
    But I now print on available papers only, or the Agfa Portriga or Brovira papers that I am used to using.

I say as long as they get used one way or another, you hold true to the intention of those that gave the paper to you. I too hate to see anything go to waste, if there is any use to be had from it.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have commented on this posting in the past you should have got a PM from me.

I am over the Christmas hoopla that pulled me in other directions (and a crumby cold too) and getting back to darkroom work.

The Indiatone is going to be parcelled out so that others may play with it.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Er...too late, I suppose?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for all who commented. I was holed up down in my 'place' (as my wife likes to call the darkroom when I disappear from her into it for hours on end) last night from 7-1. I reorganized to label binders, and moved them so that they would not keep falling down when I pulled one, and cleared space after that half hour tidy effort. Then out came the packaging materials, and I started to repackage the Ansco Indiatone into a packaging that will get into my postal system at a letter rate. After that it was cutting 60- 8x10's from an old b&w RA4 paper roll to do a big head shots print run later this weekend.

The re-packaging saw me stack the outer envelope, black photo paper storage bag, a print from my pile of 8x10 working prints, a sheet of foam core cut to reinforce the package and protect the paper,and a transmittal note on my old triple beam balance, and set the weights for 480g; the most I can send is 500g at letter rate.

Then I would start to stack the photo paper until I hit the weight set point. In most cases the result is that there is between 55 and 60 shets per package; the size of the (saved from past paper packs) storage bag resulted in the variability. The paper for each envelope was split and organized to result in the packed result being thinner than 20mm so it qualifies for letter rate.

I was left with about 100 sheets of this stuff after my stash of black plastic envelopes was consumed. These might get partially used for the next postcard exchange round.

I will post details of the postage costs after hitting the post office later today; there is a modest rate increase due on Monday, so that was partly a motivator to get the packages together. For those paying for postage (thanks for that gesture) payment by PayPal to happychips@primus.ca would be the most convenient. Otherwise my contact details for return surface mail are in the package.

I have not heard from Ansco John or Mopar Guy yet; thanks to those who have expressed an interest to date.

The text on the original packaging describes this paper as follows:
    "IndiaTone B Double Weight Paper N3" (I think it is closer to a 2 today, but have not tested this precisely)

Indiatone B is a rich warm-toned projection printing paper of medium speed (for its day- slow by today's standards) having a finely stippled surface with a high sheen. It is especially suitable for portrait and commercial subjects where brilliant, sparkling prints are desired. It is not recommended for transparent oil coloring. Ansco Ardol Developer is recommended for normal warm-tone prints. For best sepia tones, use Ansco Flemish Toner."

There are still six packages available unspoken for so far.

Let me know if you have an interest, and your postal address, and I will address them and send them out as the PM's come in, and move them out until they are all gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So the first round of mailings went out last night,

If you asked for one in the US, the postage was $6.80
    If you asked for one in Canada, the postage was $2.90.

Richard asked for a swap, and I will be up in Ottawa sometime in the next two years to claim my prize in exchange. There are three sections of Highway 417 that I designed parts of for the widening of lanes/replacing bridges contracts, and I usually get dragged into some sort of commisssioning inspection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin