Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,770   Posts: 1,516,510   Online: 784

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meopta Magnifax

Shooter
    35mm

Meopta Magnifax

So I got my hands on some enlarger for 30 bucks (200 norwegian kroner), but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. It's what I think is the original magnifax 6.5 x 9 from somewhere between 1954-1967 and it came with original optics for both medium format (105mm lens) and 35mm (55mm lens).

Can photo equipment this old still be usable after 50 years? Anyone have the users manual for this thing?

Looks exactly like the magnifax (#11 on this site) seen here: http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=312

Shooter
    35mm
    You can find Meopta user manuals here. Select "historical products" from the menu, then "enlargers" and finally product manuals.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Top-Cat View Post
    So I got my hands on some enlarger for 30 bucks (200 norwegian kroner), but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. It's what I think is the original magnifax 6.5 x 9 from somewhere between 1954-1967 and it came with original optics for both medium format (105mm lens) and 35mm (55mm lens).

Can photo equipment this old still be usable after 50 years? Anyone have the users manual for this thing?

Looks exactly like the magnifax (#11 on this site) seen here: http://www.meopta.com/index.php?id=312
    Man, how 'bout that Magnitarus!!?? And, yes, no reason yours should not be useable.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    The Mignoret looks cool.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    The Mignoret looks cool.
    To be honest, if I didn't know that it's an enlarger, I'd think it's a sixties kitchen mixer.

Shooter
    Medium Format

We used to have one and it was a good enlarger. It had a focusing aid built into the negative carrier and it was spot-on. The age of an enlarger makes no difference to its usability. The design of enlargers basically has not changed over a Very Long Time!

[On looking at the meopta web site, ours was a Magnifax II, which has a smaller lamp house and the "slit focusing"]

If you like it you might be well advised to stock up on lamps, since they might become difficult to source in the future.
    Last edited by john_s; 12-17-2009 at 02:30 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Addition

Shooter
    35mm
    What type of lamp do I use? The bulb looks just like a regular light bulb to me - on the site it says Opal 100 W, is that it? - sorry if I'm so green about this, but I've only used other peoples enlargers up untill now and haven't had to do any research on what type of extra equipment I need for this kind of device.

And by the way, sorry for posting this thread in the wrong forum, if you're an admin, I hope you'll be kind enough to move it to the forum for enlargements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can photo equipment this old still be usable after 50 years?
    It certainly can.

The photograph my wife and I included in our Christmas Card this year was taken with a camera that celebrated its 75th birthday this year - and as such is younger than many of the cameras used by many of us here.

We don't need to discuss the usability of photographers after 50 years, do we?

Have fun with your enlarger.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Top Cat,
    The opal bulb looks like any other; save for the fact that the "writing" on it is in such a position as not to become focussed on to your print. They are special enlarger bulbs, in other words.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a Magnifax II in the garage that I should give away but have this daft idea to use the condensors in it (huge) for something!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin