Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,460   Online: 1042

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How did your tests go?
    I toned last night using Paterson Acutone Selenium and I got a very noticeable tone change
    I left the MC111 in selenium (1+7) for about 15 min... when I checked with a flashlight I could see a "reddish" midtones, so I left it there to get to the highlights which took another 10 minutes.

The final resul is very pleasing, as seen in the attached file (Toned on the right side)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tone_untone3.jpg  
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Thanks Mike - great to hear from someone who has the same experience with MC111. Re AGFA Classic MC111, I rate it very highly. Gives excellent shadow detail when req'd and the glossy isn't toooo shiney; a feature I really like. The glossy 111 is all I use now, but still sitting on the fence about the matt version. It's quite thin for a FB.
    Well thanks all, gotta run, off to Amazon to check the delivery chgs on Tim Rudman (and his book) - New Zealand's a long way away you know!!!
    I think the book is in stock at the Borders at sky city..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John McCallum
    Re AGFA Classic MC111, I rate it very highly. Gives excellent shadow detail when req'd and the glossy isn't toooo shiney; a feature I really like. The glossy 111 is all I use now, but still sitting on the fence about the matt version. It's quite thin for a FB.
    Hi John,

I use Agfa fiber paper almost exclusively as well. You mentioned depth but not colour... What are you looking for in toning and is there a specific reason that you're stuck on Selenium toner?

Personally I don't care for the colour shift with 111 and 118... It does take a LONG time to tone fully... Even at high strength... Give it time, you'll notice it start in the shadows and slowly creep into the image.

What I do like, is how well both papers tone in Kodak Brown toner... I did a toning test using Agfa, Bergger, Kodak and found the Agfa to be the hands down winner with brown toner. If you're looking for a brown print, I couldn't suggest anything better... (And when heated up, it tones in about 2 minutes)

The 111 (glossy) is a wonderful paper - in my opinion the best glossy fiber paper out there... Bergger on the white base is also spectacular... The 118 while not good for everything, can look great on the right things... (And the toning I noted about makes it a whole new paper)

Hope that helps you,

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yep, viradon/kodak brown work wonderful woth MCC/MCP papers!!!
    I love the combo

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    My only problem with the Agfa is how off-white the white is. I like the mids and darks but not the whites. I have happened into some Flexicon paper lately and like that a lot.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewH
    My only problem with the Agfa is how off-white the white is. I like the mids and darks but not the whites. I have happened into some Flexicon paper lately and like that a lot.
    The MCC111 is "whiter" than the MCC118... I simply found a mat board that matched them perfectly. I did find in the past (with other papers) that if the white base was too bright, finding a mat that looked good with it was difficult.

I prefer neutral to warm images, not cool ones.

joe

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Joe:

My problem is that the whites just never seemed white. They felt like the whites in fogged or old paper. When I set straight plain old Ilford next to it, it seemed like night and day. I love the darks, and the price for that matter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by titrisol
    How did your tests go?
    I've been using Kodak Sel on the Agfa MC and got very similar results to yours T. Increasing the DMax giving the appearance of increased contrast but without losing detail in the highlights. A little detail lost in shadows sometimes, but this appears to be controllable with timing. I find the results very pleasing for my images.
    btw you seem to have controlled the toning well on your example. Under flashlight! I usually tone in daylight if possible with a wet control sitting next to the tray for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Symchyshyn
    I use Agfa fiber paper almost exclusively as well. You mentioned depth but not colour... What are you looking for in toning and is there a specific reason that you're stuck on Selenium toner?
    Joe many of the pictures I had been working on had a high proportion of shadow info, and the MC111 gave nice results for these. However I had difficulty getting the 'richness' I was after. Selenium toning definately helped a great deal. Like you, to shift to eggplant colour didn't appeal to me, but pulling the print earlier gave v nice results.
    I not yet tried Bergger paper but keen to. Last week found some Zone VI Brilliant FB Exhibition paper for half price. Boy oh boy oh boy! Beautiful stuff!! Deep blacks and brilliant whites - perfect for a few prints I've found a little challenging.

I've also been using Agfa Veridon (new) in combination with the Selenium for brown tones on the MC111, and I really like the results of this combination. Beautiful glossy dark rich chocolate, rather than the muddy brown sometimes seen.

Amazon delivered Tim Rudman's Toning book with their usual dependability. Actually I noticed it appear shortly afterwards in Borders too Sean (just slightly more expensive btw).

I'm about to go back and buy the rest of the stock of Zone VI Brilliant. Well I better leave a few pkts for Sean (@ Auckland Camera on New Nth Rd, Sean).

Best, John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was comparing my Ilford MG and Agfa MCC prints.... the GAFA seems to be 1/2 to 1 contrast grade softer???
    Anyone observed this as well??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you meant the AGFA - yes definately. i found the base is definately not as white, and I think this may add to the appearance of less contrast also. Makes it difficult to get a glowing print by comparison. I now prefer not to use it for some of my prints. A little frustating sometimes having to use a higher contrast filtration with the consequential loss of print detail.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin