Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,121   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    I have shot two rolls of Ilford Delta 400 120 in my Hassy. I presoaked on both occasions for about 2 mins. (an old habit of mine). When I dumped out the water to put in the delveloper, a bunch of black crud came out with the water. Both rolls were almost completely clear, almost as if they had not been exposed at all. I have no experience with Ilford films, but I checked my camera out, and everything seems to be as it should. On the second roll I even pushed the development time a bit (Ilfotec DDX, 8.5 min. at 74%F) and still no images. This is making me crazy! Should I not be doing the pre-soak?

Images
    I always presoak my film with distilled water. I can't imagine why it wouldnt work in your case. I am assuming it was a water presoak, from a clean container (not used for fixer, etc) and the temp was normal.
    hi!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Sounds like the emulsion is coming off in the presoak. Weird.

Ilford should say in their film docs that a presoak is not required, especially for roll films. When you're doing tray development, a presoak is almost mandatory to ensure that the negatives don't stick to each other.

However, a presoak will not cause the emulsion to come off!

Try a roll without a presoak, and see what happens. If it happens again, then I would suggest that you have a bad batch of film.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It's not the pre-soak. The black stuff that comes off is the anti-halation backing. If I remember, Hassies have a dark slide. Did you remove it before exposing the film?

I have made some of my best exposures on a dark slide.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If all is working correctly, you can't fire the Hassy's shutter with the dark slide in - at least not on the one I used..
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i use ilford delta 100 film almost exclusively and always presoak. never a problem so far. i wonder, though, wouldn't the developer, being a liquid, take off the emulsion just as readily as plain water? sounds like a bad batch of film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Can you describe the "crud" in more detail?

dr bob.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano
    If all is working correctly, you can't fire the Hassy's shutter with the dark slide in - at least not on the one I used..
    Nor mine, either.

I've read this ... and I wouldn't have a clue to why there wasn't ANY image at all.

I know that Ilford recommends AGAINST a pre-soak; and the color film manufacturers recommend the same - more intensely - but they all suggest a degradation of the image - not that the image would be destroyed.

The *only* explanation I can think of is ... FIXER at some time before developer. Does the affected film have ANY "edge markings"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to the MSDA for Ifotec DDX, it is a Phenidone/Hydroquinone formulation. This means that it is susceptible to Phenidone oxidation (no color change with this!) and a consequent sudden and dramatic loss of developer activity.

A Google search reveals that Ifotec DDX is described as "a lovely developer with a limited shelf life."

Try a test piece of the film in a different developer.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When you checked your Hassy out, did you remove the film back and fire the shutter while pointing the lens towards a light source? I once had a shutter failure that resulted in a couple blank rolls of film - shutter sounded ok but wasn't working.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin