Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,840   Posts: 1,582,589   Online: 984

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Purple tinted Tri-X 400 (120) negatives

How long should one wash for to reduce the purple tint of Tri-X negatives? (processed for the first time for two or so years). TMY-2 processed through my Jobo system (one shot) and given 10 minutes wash afterwards comes out of the water with no discernible purple stain. However the roll of Tri-X processed earlier today (Paterson Super System 4) shows a very noticeable purple stain, sometimes associated with insufficient fixing and / or washing, however I used times as follows:

4 minutes pre-soak
    10 minutes Kodak XTOL replenished at 20ºC (for E.I. 1600)
    1 minute stop bath
    4 minutes fix (1+4 Champion Amfix, probably mixed around a month ago and used on less than 10 films, - haven't checked notes)
    5 minutes wash - 24ºC, fast rate (noticed film still has purple tint)
    [mixed up fresh fix]
    2 minutes in fresh fix
    5 minutes wash - 24ºC, fast rate (purple tint still there but probably less)

Would a Sodium Carbonate clearing bath between two washes reduce the stain?

Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Tom- That's an old problem that has plagued Kodak's T-structure b&w films since the beginning. It has no effect on anything in the darkroom but nobody's ever comfortable with it either....which means that EK should have done something about it way back when but didn't. The color cast is very easily removed with a quick rinse in Permawash. You'll see the equivalent of .5 magenta doing down the drain.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    see the sticky message
    BTW no presoak and 15 sec stop will give better clearng
    D-76 is a standard developer, although not one I use.
    Ansel Adams - The Negative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    How long should one wash for to reduce the purple tint of Tri-X negatives? (processed for the first time for two or so years). TMY-2 processed through my Jobo system (one shot) and given 10 minutes wash afterwards comes out of the water with no discernible purple stain. However the roll of Tri-X processed earlier today (Paterson Super System 4) shows a very noticeable purple stain, sometimes associated with insufficient fixing and / or washing, however I used times as follows:

4 minutes pre-soak
    10 minutes Kodak XTOL replenished at 20ºC (for E.I. 1600)
    1 minute stop bath
    4 minutes fix (1+4 Champion Amfix, probably mixed around a month ago and used on less than 10 films, - haven't checked notes)
    5 minutes wash - 24ºC, fast rate (noticed film still has purple tint)
    [mixed up fresh fix]
    2 minutes in fresh fix
    5 minutes wash - 24ºC, fast rate (purple tint still there but probably less)

Would a Sodium Carbonate clearing bath between two washes reduce the stain?

Tom
    Tom

Split the two fixes into 3 minutes each. Reduce the in-between wash to just a minute or two (you don't need more). Extend the final wash to 10 minutes but precede it with a 2 minute hypo-clearing bath and the purple tint will be gone. I have none in my workflow (nor do I do a pre-soak).
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Solution....Use Ilford HP5

Cheers Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Let me clarify something.

Kodak support contains carbon microparticles. These serve two purposes. One is anti-light piping and the other is antistatic. Both of these aid in getting sharper defect free photos. That causes a mild gray blue discoloration to most Kodak estar type supports.

IDK if this film is on an Estar type support, but that is likely the reason for some of the coloration if it is. This coloration is harmless and the particles are too fine to affect the image quality.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Use a hypo clearing agent, which will go a long way to solving this. It will also have the added bonus of helping with the wash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Tom

Split the two fixes into 3 minutes each. Reduce the in-between wash to just a minute or two (you don't need more). Extend the final wash to 10 minutes but precede it with a 2 minute hypo-clearing bath and the purple tint will be gone. I have none in my workflow (nor do I do a pre-soak).
    Does this suggest that Kodak TMY-2 is somehow less prone to purple tinting compared to Tri-X, or rather that my Jobo process is more effective at removing the purple dye? (no HCA used).

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    All my Tri-X 35mm and MF negatives are purple. If I don't mercilessly fix and wash my TMY/TMX 35mm, it will come out (probably harmless) pink. The few TMY medium format negatives I have are pretty much clear.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same colour tint, but experienced no problem whit it, unless it is influencing the colour-filtering while printing on VC paper, this I do not know for sure.
    But, this might be because I process Tri-X 400 in Pyrocat-HD and the warm-brown staining of the emulsion is somewhat compensating the rather ‘cold’ magenta tint on the back side, who knows?
    What stroke me was, when fixing in an acidic fixer, the colour is almost gone, but as I develop in Pyro, I do use an alkalic fixer...
    But, again, I do not care, the results with Tri-X 400/120 are superb, well done Kodak and Sandy King!

Philippe

P.S. this is how I process Tri-X 400 (if you are interested) :
    All is done at 20°C +/-2°, pre wet and developing is strictly at 20°C, in tank on SS reels.
    Pre wet : for the time needed to mix the developer...
    Develop : Pyrocat-HD 1:1:100 for 15 min. Agitation : two inversions each 60 sec.
    Stop : water rinse, twice for 30 sec.
    Fixing : two bath, FUJI Unlec 1+4 for 2 min. each.
    Short rinse for 30 sec. twice.
    KHCA for 2 min.
    Final wash in running water for 5 min.
    ADOX Adostab, mixed according the labelled instructions, for 2 min.
    Dry at room temp., over night, in a cabinet (to protect against dust).
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin