Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 916

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am speaking about the relation blue/red peaks. There are films with an upswing of the curve in the blue section, rising above the red peak, there are films with blue and red peak at one level, and films with blue sensitivity lower than the red one.

Of course you are right that all current production b&w Agfa camera films have extended red sensitivity wavelength-wise.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I don't think TMX has anything to do with APX100, and neither does acros. I don't see the similarity it all, in fact I would consider them examples of how different two films could be. Foma and Plus-X are the closest I've come to replacing APX100, and the foma is quite slow.

FWIW TMX is also a 50 speed film for me even though TMY is a good solid 400.
    Just a note on the TMX and APX films - Way way way back my standard slow film was panatomic-x I reluctantly switched to TMX when Kodak discontinued Panatomic-X and slowly surely just like any film learned to make it respond to what I needed/wanted. Looking back I still have a fondness for Panatomic-X but in reality TMX was a more than worth replacement and is supremely flexible in ways that Panatomic-X was not. So... Time marches on...

In the 80's and 90's my medium speed films were PXP and APX 100 - a practice that I usually avoid for simplicity's sake - and yes both PXP and APX 100 are faster than TMX in the developers I use. I really liked APX 100 for some subjects as I mentioned before but... To my eyes PXP and APX were totally different beasts in terms of spectral sensitivity, curve, etc. Again with my developers.

When APX went away I found ways of making TMX do what my APX 100 used to do for me - yes it is a bit slower but for me has the flexibility to more or less do the things in the upper mid tones and highlights that APX 100 used to do for me. I think that TMX's reputation of only having one look is not at all accurate or deserved. I have found it to be one of the most flexible films I have ever used - ever. As long as you can deal with the speed range not only can you manipulate the CI to an idiotic degree compared to other emulsions but.... Unlike a lot of other films it is not too hard to manipulate the curve shape either.

If TMX is not giving you that "bite" that APX used to in Rodinal (and I do know what you are talking about here) I would suggest that you try a really high acutance developer for TMX - personally I use a home brew pyro/elon developer that can give you as much bite as you can possibly stand. Hence TMX can be a a reasonable substitute for what you liked about APX in Rodinal but you probably will not dial it in in the first try nor will it happen using the same thing you used to use with APX.

RB

Ps. It took me a while when Panatomic-X was dropped to stop complaining about TMX but eventually I saw the light.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have Rollei Retro 100 (not the 80s version) in 120. Got it at B&H. Currently hanging in my bathroom, practically curled itself into a tube.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That type 120 conversion has no backcoating.

Shooter
    35mm
    I swear when I posted that just a week ago, I double-checked to make sure Rollei Retro in 120 was still available. Lo and behold--today I look again and it is discontinued. Not on Freestyle (where it was still available at some point in the fall, but at least a month ago that it was no longer there) or at B&H, where I am pretty sure it was still listed as available one week ago. I have 9 rolls left. I feel like this keeps happening!--only got 5 rolls left of 400UC, etc. Guess I'll try the Fomapan this week. Haven't shot TMX in years, quite a bit pricier than re-branded Fomapan so I'm hoping that one works out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used APX 100 until Agfa tanked however many years ago and had to find a new answer when my stock evaporated. Although I miss the color rendition, which was unique, I use TMY2 for everything today, 35mm to 8x10.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    35mm
    Then of course there is the oft-promised "fact" that APX will be resurrected in much the same way the old Agfa paper has been (by Adox/Fotoimpex, I believe).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had contact with adox and in Q1 of 2010 they will start making the old apx 100 from 35mm until 8x10 inch.

(german text)
    http://www.adox.de/ADOX_Filme/ADOXAP100/ADOXAP100.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Willie Jan View Post
    I had contact with adox and in Q1 of 2010 they will start making the old apx 100 from 35mm until 8x10 inch.

(german text)
    http://www.adox.de/ADOX_Filme/ADOXAP100/ADOXAP100.html
    That's good news.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is excellent news. I can now use my remaining three rolls of APX 100 in 120.

Tom

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin