Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,906   Posts: 1,555,859   Online: 865

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Just developed my first MF film...

And holy Tmax 100, that is some pink. It just keeps coming. After a longer than necessary fix of 5 minutes in Ilford Rapid Fix, I plucked the film from the tank and the base had a nice pink tone to it, so I fixed it again but it didn't change anything. I figured this was normal. I washed and washed and washed (per Ilford's water conservation method) in my tank and the pink just kept coming out! It was never ending. I finally gave up and had enough washing...the base was a nice clear gray without a hint of pink to it. So I did the final rinse in Photo-flo and distilled water, and guess what? MORE PINK! From where, I don't know...

Anyway, I used XTOL 1:1 @ 68F for 9.75' with Kodak's suggested agitation method for Tmax films and the negatives look a little thin. I think I'll try the stock solution next time and see if that helps. They should still print all right, though. Funny how films react so differently. Last night I developed a roll of 35mm HP5+ in XTOL 1:1 @ 68F for 12.5' and they turned out with such a beautiful range of tones (though could certainly still use some tweaking on my part to get some more shadow detail). I cannot wait to print them, but alas I have work early tomorrow, so the printing will have to be put off.

I'm happy to report that my new (to me) RB67 at this time does not appear to have any light leaks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I, too, developed my first MF film on last Thursday. I picked TriX400 and D76 for Mamiya 645. It's so nice to have BIG negative that I can actually see with my naked eyes! I think I'm hooked to MF.

On separate note, I also processed 35mm Tmax400 today and did a pre-wash for 1 minute. A LOT of pink came out in this stage but not much later. You might want to try pre-soaking.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    It's so nice to have BIG negative that I can actually see with my naked eyes!
    Yes, yes, yes!
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Congrats! MF is a really nice format. I enjoy the larger sizes, 6x6, x7 and x9. I dont know about the pink, it happens to me as well. Happened tonight w/ HP5 400, dont know where it comes from, but there you have it.

Anyway, congratulations on your entry into MF development, next stop LF!

./e

stm
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is a little odd that your fixer is turning pink. I use Kodak Fixer for 8 minutes and have never seen any pink. I always use hypo clearing agent stock dil 1:4 for two minutes, agitating for the first 30 seconds and then 3 inversions every 30 seconds thereafter. Now it WILL turn pretty pink but since you are ditching it after use anyway it is of no consequence. The hypo clear pretty much completely eliminates the pink in the wash water. I use a Kostiner vertical film washer for about 5 minutes at a reasonably high flow and have never had any problems. The film, when dried, is of course, pink free
    They say digital has it's place, I just haven't found it yet!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I has TMax 400 develop to be pink with fresh hypo. I even put it back in hypo to 10 more minutes.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    It's so nice to have BIG negative that I can actually see with my naked eyes! I think I'm hooked to MF.
    Those 6x7 negatives really are larger than I expected. I would use the word "huge" but then all you large format people would just make fun of me

I'm excited to develop some more. I've got an idea for a shot and I just got some Pan F 120 in the mail to do it on...now I just need this snow to stop and the earth to dim...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin