Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,971   Posts: 1,558,624   Online: 1021

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I started with D76, then went onto Xtol, then got stuck with rodinal. Rodinal because it is always there, ready, waiting for you on the shelf. It is as easy as pouring water into pernod (yes US friends, you are supposed to dillute with cold water), or milk into coffee. The bottle is small (not like storing a gallon) and lasts forever.
    I still have powder D76 and Xtol, and will probably not use them. No big planing with rodinal (mix the day before, develop a day or days later). When I have time, I run 200ml tap water to 20C, mix my 4ml rodinal (1:50), and dunk my film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Xtol, mixes at room temp, but recommends distilled water. Lasts for a long time in a container without air (some people have said 6-9 months). Odd 5L mix size. I did some up and put some in a 3L jug and some in a 2L jug. (I use juice jugs for chemicals).
    I use tap water in Los Angeles where the water is hard and the women are good looking. I pour one quart from the mixing bucket for my developer and the rest goes into a collapsible one gallon bottle that I use for replenisher.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wounder if the original poster is still following this thread....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    I've been struggling with my process for a while now and this isn't even my first time. I am now questioning "what is RIGHT?"
    It's been 18 years since I first processed my own film and I am still not sure what developer to use next (I've tried quite a few but I tend to come back to Kodak D-76; the wide range of suggested ISOs for Xtol has recently gotten my attention and now I want to try it instead!

D-76, or the Ilford equivalent ID-11, are good starting points.

Shooter
    35mm
    Since you've never done it before, it doesn't really matter- you'll get fabulous results from all of these developers- maybe, since you're scanning, you should look to keeping the grain fine, as grain can be problematic with some scanners.
    Once again, the "right" developing time for these films can never be "right" first time without some understanding of what's going on with the exposure and development, in relation to the conditions under which you took the photograph, i.e., scenes with high, normal or low brightness ranges- exposure and development needs to vary according to these broad conditions.
    Read a bit about the zone system before shooting and developing the firat roll. Play around with it a bit and don't just change developers and films because you didn't like the first results, because if you do that, good results will always elude you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin