Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,818   Online: 748

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which 5X7 film

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Which 5X7 film

I need to puyrchase some 5X7 and am debating picking up one of the last 50 sheet boxes of EDU Ultra(FOMA 200) that Freestyle has. Or do I just go ahead and bite the bullet and get some HP5, since I don't know if the FOMA 200 will ever be around again. BTW I finally tamed the EDU ultra 200 using Formulary TFX-2 50ml:50ml:900ml H20 for 18 mins shot at 100asa. It gives shadow detail on par with tri-x @160asa with printable highlights out to zone 9.
    No escaping it!
    I must step on fallen leaves
    to take this path

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not many choices left. I was surprised that TMY-2 wasn't available, or I would have recommended it.

HP5+ is great film, if you can shoot with TXP and Foma 200, then you should be able to make it work with HP5 for sure. Great film.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Efke films are another economical alternative. I've been shooting Fomapan 100 in 5x7, but I've shot a fair amount of Efke 100 in 9x12 and 2x3; it's a nice film with a slightly unusual tonality, a bit grainy for its speed, but in LF sizes, who cares? (All right, someone must, but *I* don't.) And Efke 25 is just a fantastic film.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Tri-X Professional 320 and TMX are stock items in 5x7 at several dealers.

If there's another ULF custom order period from Kodak, you could get TMY-2 in that order. It's a rather aperiodic event.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Tri-X is the best sheet film I have used, overall.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Did Freestyle indicate that the Edu Ultra 200 would not be available again in the future?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

5x7 film

Quote Originally Posted by davekarp View Post
    Did Freestyle indicate that the Edu Ultra 200 would not be available again in the future?
    I e-mailed them and they expect to get stock again in april 2010. Seems FOMA is having trouble with switching suppliers(raw material I assume). Also though I do love Tri-x for its consistency and it is a great film all around 50 sht's in 5x7 is well over $100 whilst I can get rebranded foma from freestyle for less than half that and once the right developer and EI are established I cannot tell any difference in image quality.
    I need to get some 4x5 also and since freestyle is out of the edu ultra 200 I will probably get tri-x the price difference there is not nearly as great.
    No escaping it!
    to take this path

Shooter
    Medium Format
    shanghai is another alternative can be found on flea bay quite cheap ive used it no problems

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ron,

Thanks for the information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

decesion time

I read all the posts and searched the threads, is decesion time: like a showing of hands it is between EDU ULTRA 100(FOMA) of EFKEPL100 in 5X7 of course. Can't really afford to pay double for the Ilford or Kodak products.
    No escaping it!
    to take this path

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin