Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,556   Posts: 1,573,158   Online: 772

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmm...
    I havn't used my densitometer for some time now. (Testing film after film after film for various developers just became too much...) But now I have found a very good use for it again.
    Thanks guys and have a happy new year.

//Bj÷rn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

It is highly dependant on the amount of use ( exposure to light ) and care of the filters, we always were told that they had a 5 to 8 year life and to change them for optimal performance after approx 5 years.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Simon ! My new ones are arriving tomorrow.

I have thought of an easy way to determine when the filters being fading. When I first take the new ones out of their packet, I take a set of photos of them on my light box as I did here, then every year I check to see how subsequent photos compare. With my dig*t*l camera I set it to do a custom white balance on the light box - this way it should take into account any changes to the light box's spectral composition over time. Visual comparison or even numeric comparison of the RGB values in an image editor will tell me plenty. Voila a poor man's colour densitometer !

regards
    Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Peter, it might not be quite so simple

I found my old MG Filters flared a bit too

So you might need to come up with a cunning flare test too

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm using my filters above the lense so flare shouldn't be a problem. Martin can you explain what changes about a MG filter over time to cause it to flare ?
    rgds
    Peter

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Peter, I'm just guessing about the decay mechanism

I suspect the surface of the filter (gelatine?) starts to microscopicaly flake and becomes uneven - so would scatter light

My old bellow the lens filter set had a slightly milky appearance when compared to the new ones

Because the decay is so gradual its a bit hard to notice - only by holding the old & new filters next to each other were the differences apparent

Also looking at the filter surface at an oblique angle - the new ones were mirror like & shinny but the old ones were more of a semi-matt finish

Sorry, its the best I can do

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Peter,
    Just got my new filters today..
    The #4 was faded compared to the new set,so hopefully the problem is solved!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah, mine arrived yesterday too and my old#4 was really faded. In fact there were sufficient differences between the other numbers too to make me think I had the older style referred to here by Ilford which are "likely to give poor or unpredictable results" anyway !

Soon I'll post photos comparing the two sets.

rgds
    Peter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin