Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,603   Online: 833

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Congratulations on your developing your first film

We all make mistake, it is part of the learning process - but you seem to have made a good start and know what to improve for next time

Hopefully next time will be better and the mistakes get fewer as time goes on.

It is not necessary to have a separate thermometer for each chemical - a brief wash in running water is OK as long as you go Dev > Stop > Fix.

When you go Fix back to Dev, the Thermometer needs a good wash under running water

The temperature of the Developer is very important (try to get within 1degC of 20C ie 19 ~ 21C)

The Stop and Fix temperatures are less important but they need to be within 2C of the Developer temperature to minimise thermal shock to the films emulsion.

I find running the film through two adjoining (ringless) fingers to be as good a way as any to wipe roll film without scratching or leaving a deposit.

Before I pour in the developer, I always do a mental check list to make sure I am ready to start, check the Developer temperature one last time, start the timer and then begin to pour.

Personally, I find when I have poured in the Developer, all my concentration is on agitating the tank and displacing the air bubbles - so I start the timer a moment before I begin to pour, rather than wait until after the developer is in the tank. You might be different but this way works best for me.

Also, I use a large Tray (20x16 inches) to put my Tank and Chemicals in - its good for catching the splashes and spills, which I clean up after I have completely finished

Good luck

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    Alright, thanks for all the encouraging replies.

I decided to start enlarging the same roll today too, also the first time on my own. I started at around 12:30 and finished at 17:00, I think I only got out of there to eat and drink.
    I think I spent at least 2 hours on preparation, being creative with the limited electric sockets was quite a challenge
    The scale warmer saved the day, I never imagined that it would be that useful. Even though the attic I worked in was quite cold, it kept my chemicals at a firm 20 degrees Celsius.
    Written all of my experiments down, and saved the stop and fixer in bottles.

Not everything went right though, I accidentally spilled half of the developing solution by accidentally pushing against it. I feared that it would start smelling pretty bad, but I tried to clean most of it with the towel I took with me. No bad smell, luckily. Lots of it landed in between cardboard boxes, I hope it didnt do any damage. I had to add more solution because at least half of it (250-300ml?) was gone.

Out of the 5-8 negatives I enlarged (I used at least 25 sheets in total on these negatives), none of them showed bubble-damage. By looking at the rest of the negatives, it seems I got away with that.
    Even though it was a test roll with not many 'good' shots, I had fun experimenting with times.
    Exposing a sheet for 8 seconds, 25 sec development, 30 sec stop, 30 sec fix seems to work pretty well, even though I dont really seem to understand the way light-timing and development timing connects. 4 seconds would give me slightly less shadows.. will try some more things later on.
    Last edited by JBoontje; 12-31-2009 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin