Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,279   Posts: 1,534,860   Online: 774

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jbridges View Post
    RB - Can you scan I print form the MCC? I have been wanting to use this paper but I am a visual type of guy.

jb
    jb - yes I can and I will get around to it in the next day or two but...

So many readers on my site have asked for samples of materials I am actually working out a way to deal with sending out actual samples for a couple bucks with a selection of negative formats/processing that will not suck down all my time and end up cost neutral. If that interests you at all hit me up via email.

RB

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've just loaded a couple of scans of two MCC 110
    prints I made last night -- one toned in selenium,

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...?i=48958&c=502

the other split toned in Kodak Sepia II and selenium:

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...?i=48959&c=502

MCC's tones barely budge in selenium -- you would
    not see the difference (if there is a difference) in a
    scan so you can expect untoned MCC to look like my
    selenium-toned image.

If you don't like the images, don't blame the paper --
    it looks much richer and subtler and vibrant in hand
    than any computer reproduction can suggest.
    Last edited by Rolleiflexible; 01-04-2010 at 10:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rwboyer View Post
    Again - this is the first new paper that I have tried in a long long time and...WOW!

I am done with my hum drum old paper for now. I love this stuff. It is absolutely perfect for my subject matter and my desires. If I had to ask for someone to design a paper just for me this would be it. The decision of Adox to put the old Agfa emulsion on a bayarta type bright white base was fantastic. I like it better than the old Agfa - much more appropriate for just about anything.

Okay enough gushing over the MCC.

Here is something that surprised me even more. I tried a bunch of different paper developers this week on the MCC everything from cold tone to warm tone developers. Amidol, Ansco 130, just about every concoction that I ever used. Guess what was my favorite?

Plain ol' Kodak Dektol 1+2 - fantastic DMAX and just a hint of warmness maybe a tick warmer absolutely neutral blacks. Nothing like an over the top warm tone paper.NO GREENISHNESS in any of the developers I tried but the fact that it is beautiful in dirt cheap dektol and shows great capacity/consistency is just icing on the cake.

RB

Ps. I will still use Galerie for a couple things but the MCC is my new standard.
    I am a died in the wool 130 fan but I agree that the Dektol/D72 is better on this paper. Evan better is to replace the carbonate in D72 with TSP ala Edwin Lowe fo deeper blacks. Replace the carbonate wit 1 part TSP for 2 parts carbonate and dilute 1+2...Evan Clarke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sanders - Thank you very much. Excellent information/visuals and your prints look wonderful.

Rb - I might take you up on that offer!

jb

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eclarke View Post
    I am a died in the wool 130 fan but I agree that the Dektol/D72 is better on this paper. Evan better is to replace the carbonate in D72 with TSP ala Edwin Lowe fo deeper blacks. Replace the carbonate wit 1 part TSP for 2 parts carbonate and dilute 1+2...Evan Clarke
    what means "TSP" please?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    em... TSP = Trisodium phosphate (Na3PO4) ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tri-Sodium Phosphate, it's an alkali thats been used since the 30's in some developers in place of carbonate or in other cases Borax.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just ordered up my second large batch of MCC and PRINT WA developer. This has become my new standard paper. It took me the better part of an entire weekend to calibrate my ZoneMaster II to work with it because the curves are so substantially different than Multigrade IV to be silly. Once recalibrated, it's heavenly to work with.

The biggest advantage I see to MCC is two-fold: Blacks are BLACK! Not some off-blue cast that Ilford Multigrade IV papers have. Secondly, the straight-line section of the tonal response curves are straight! I'm so used to fighting the double-hump in the curves that I ended up split-grade printing most of the time. With MCC, I get perfectly predictable Zones I-IV and have been able to reduce contrast by an entire paper-grade to still get good blacks.

A third advantage to MCC is the fact I get zero gloss differential.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea... It's only marginally more expensive than the alternatives, but my time is more valuable than the price difference.

Ken N
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken N View Post
    I just ordered up my second large batch of MCC and PRINT WA developer. This has become my new standard paper. It took me the better part of an entire weekend to calibrate my ZoneMaster II to work with it because the curves are so substantially different than Multigrade IV to be silly. Once recalibrated, it's heavenly to work with.

The biggest advantage I see to MCC is two-fold: Blacks are BLACK! Not some off-blue cast that Ilford Multigrade IV papers have. Secondly, the straight-line section of the tonal response curves are straight! I'm so used to fighting the double-hump in the curves that I ended up split-grade printing most of the time. With MCC, I get perfectly predictable Zones I-IV and have been able to reduce contrast by an entire paper-grade to still get good blacks.

A third advantage to MCC is the fact I get zero gloss differential.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea... It's only marginally more expensive than the alternatives, but my time is more valuable than the price difference.

Ken N
    Yep, yep, and more yep - right with you.

Just out of curiosity what MC filters are you using - not that it really matters but...

I have a VC head that is calibrated for Polycontrast, ilford MG, and old agfa paper. I also have a set of real Polycontrast, MG, and Agfa VC filters. There are Adox specs for color heads but was wondering what filter set if any matches up to this paper - I am thinking the Agfa filter set does due to it being an Agfa emulsion?

RB

Yesterday I contact printed an 8x10 negative that was a landscape scene of high contrast on both the new Adox MCC and Ilford Multigrade VC FB. I used the standard "split grade printing" technique so well known to many of us here, and the inexpensive and easily mixed Zone vi developer at the standard 1 plus 3, 70-72F. Looking at the prints today ( not toned ), they are very similar. The Ilford paper might represent the scene with slightly brighter highlights and a smidgeon more contrast. However, as well all know, mix the prints up and look at them next week, and it might be hard to tell such similar appearing prints apart. Both prints look fine, and represent the scene as I had intended. My first impressions are that the papers might be very similar in their responses using the Zone vi developer ( similar to Dektol ). More prints will be needed before a firm conclusion can be drawn. I have done BTZS paper tests with the VC MCC and will shortly do so with the Ilford Multigrade VC FB. It will be interesting to see if the curves will be appreciably different when Zone vi developer is used.

I was interested to read about the response of MCC to toning. I tend to tone very selectively, believing that the evidence for Selenium toning and longevity is not as clear as one would suspect from reading various posts and articles. Toning for adding interest and certain qualities to a print are of more interest to me, and the experience of others regarding toning and MCC will certainly be relevant.

Thanks, and many thanks, to Adox for bringing another paper to the market.
    Last edited by Mahler_one; 01-05-2010 at 02:45 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added some information

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin