Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,002   Posts: 1,524,436   Online: 1085

Shooter
    Medium Format

Calculating contrast index

Now that I finally bought a densitometer, I am interested in calculating the contrast index, so I can see how my negatives compare with Kodak suggestions. (Don't worry, I will use other ways of evaluating them too, such as Adam's The Negative.) I found two formulas in the Kodak publication Monitoring and Troubleshooting KODAK Black-and-White Film Processes.

More accurate: CI = 0.128 + (0.267 x D-min) - (0.969 x TD) + (0.454 x LD) + (0.183 x HD) + (0.039 x D-max)

Less accurate: CI = (HD - TD) / 2.26 + 0.10

These, of course, are meant for use with Kodak process control strips, which I don't have. If I use an ordinary step pattern (21 steps) I figure D-min is the film base and D-max is any of the patches with such a strong exposure they are all the same. So which patches should I use for Toe Density, Low Density, and High Density?

Or, maybe there is a different formula to use with 21 step patterns.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do it this way suggested in this pdf manual. The manual gives a more conventional method that does not require those propriatory strips:
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...y_workbook.pdf
    Last edited by ic-racer; 01-05-2010 at 12:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I do mine on the computer and I use a linear regression to find the slope of the first 11 steps higher than 0.1 on the "Y" axis and use that as my "Personal Contrast Index."

All the myriad of methods for measuring contrast of the film have problems because some fiilms have a straight portion and some are totally "S" shaped or "J" shaped. Find a method that you like and stick with that, realizing that none are perfect.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I would think that a plot of the empirical H-D curve would be much more interesting than an estimate of the CI.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    I would think that a plot of the empirical H-D curve would be much more interesting than an estimate of the CI.
    They are both interesting.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Do it this way suggested in this pdf manual. The manual gives a more conventional method that does not require those propriatory strips:
    http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploa...y_workbook.pdf
    That's a good book. I prefer the average gradient method, but CI is fine. Note that Ilford is using yet another method. To measure the CI yourself, I have attached two files. Print the first to plot your data. Print the second on clear overhead foil and use to measure the CI. make sure to print both at the same scale.
    Attached Files
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, between the two of these I should be able to manage.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin