Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,541   Posts: 1,598,942   Online: 935

Shooter
    Medium Format

Adox MCC 110 - Print Scans and more gushing

Warning - these are crappy scans. Even if they were decent scans they do no justice to the final print - esp the very very very subtle color.

Hopefully they may be educational to people that do their own printing and may have a little experience with the materials I use. They are the quite literally the two work prints that I made on MCC of one of my "negatives from hell" I use this negative when evaluating paper a lot for many reasons. I did these two prints as soon as my big order of MCC arrived (I used recent negs on the sample pack).

The Neg is TXP developed in PMK pyro. This combination can yield fantastic results but... because of the nature of the stain AND the fact that it depresses mid-tones can cause issues. It has completely different characteristics on VC and graded paper. I decided to shoot and process this for printing on Grade 2 galerie paper. Doing this meant processing it N-1 as measured for that paper. It also meant making the Negative virtually useless for Ilford MG IV due to the really really funky whacked out effective curve shape it would have when married with MG IV's already whacked out curves as you increase it's contrast.

Long story short - too much math. Let's just say that the mids and upper mids of MCC are fanfreakingtastic and extremely easy to deal with from a predictability stand point.

This print is 13s at grade 3.

This one is with highlights printed down 1 stop still at grade three (26 seconds) - no monkey business (the shadows are much more than a stop due to the contrast)

If you know anything about really basic darkroom/printing - you should be able to see why I think the MCC is sent from heaven. If you know TXP with PMK you will understand a whole lot more about why MCC is really really nice.

RB
    Last edited by rwboyer; 01-06-2010 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    oops - one other note.

There are no levels adjustments on the scan - I left the matte black reflective scanning base from my flatbed in the frame as well as the unexposed border I believe that the black background is a few ticks above 0 on the histogram so that you could evaluate relative DMAX and DMIN for the paper as the white unexposed easel edges are also a few ticks below 255.

RB

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin