Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,709   Posts: 1,482,885   Online: 1046

Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213141516171822 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurelien View Post
    Moreover, I have to say that, when we enlarge a neg, it's near unnoticeable on the print (even in 30*40)
    Maybe in areas with lots of 'random detail', but certainly not in larger areas of even density (sky), not to my eyes at least. We should however account for variations from camera to camera, batch to batch, etc.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    I found the original scanning, of the problems I had on Foma 400, back on my computer…
    That's actually quite interesting: your scratches/marks are most visible in the shadows, my scratches seem to be only in the denser areas of the negative (sky, white cats, etc). Their appearance is otherwise very similar. I am comparing different films of course: yours is the 400, mine the 100.

I cannot escape the feeling that there is one common cause to all these (mechanical?) problems and that these are not quick & easy for Foma to solve. I also believe that my explanation, where the paper scratches the film, is far too simple. I just don't know enough about film and its production to come up with something truly sensible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I souped the roll of 120 Arista.edu ultra iso100 in Rodinal 1:50 7 min. Bright green developer when I poured it out! I have never seen this with my old stock (exp 2008)of the same film. NO SCRATCHES. I looked at the negs under an 8X toyo loupe and all I can see is normal grain. I put a neg in the Beseler 45, cranked it up to the top and I couldn't see any scratches on the paper in the easel.

The backing paper for the new batch is different. The start of the paper is green, and the sticky at the end of the roll is self-adhesive. The markings on the backing of the new batch use a different font and are brighter (whiter lettering) than the old batch. The film side of the two papers also differs. The old backing is "glossier" and looks "blacker" than the new stuff. When held side by side, the newer backing looks slightly "matt" compared to the older backing. I measured the thickness of the two backing papers and the older stock of Arista.edu Ultra measured .0043", while the newer stock of the same film measured .0045 with a few ten thousandths variation through the length (both). So there is no difference in the thickness of the backing paper. Maybe the foma folks use a different backing paper for their foma branded film.

Gotta say I'm relieved.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    All your observations about film and paper match mine, apart from those scratches, of course. At least we seem to be talking about the very same film.

Nice that you managed to measure the thickness of the paper. Just curious, how did you do that? Calipers on stacked/folded paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sandermarijn View Post
    All your observations about film and paper match mine, apart from those scratches, of course. At least we seem to be talking about the very same film.

Nice that you managed to measure the thickness of the paper. Just curious, how did you do that? Calipers on stacked/folded paper?
    I have a 6" digital caliper that is accurate to .0005, and an old mechanical Moore and Wright 0-1" micrometer that is accurate to .0001. I used the Moore and Wright for the measurement. I measured each single roll of backing paper at several different spots along its length.

I just realized... I'm analog for measuring too! The only time I use any of my digital calipers is when I have to make or convert metric measurements. I get a much better "feel" with analog micrometers, and when measuring to .0001, the "feel" of the micrometer can make a huge difference.When measuring to .001, I use mechanical 6" calipers.
    Last edited by ricksplace; 01-21-2010 at 05:18 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Just realized how analog I am...
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm also having these scratches with Foma 100 120. I have just developed 4 rolls and they all have scratches. They have been exposed in a SL66se, wich il never have used before. I normally use a Mamiya C330, and scratches havent been a big problem with that camera. Film transportation is longer in the SL than in the C330. The last films was expose in very cold weather, down to minus 18.

Kent Bentzen
    Last edited by kameranerd.com; 01-21-2010 at 06:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Bad english

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Do you have the batch number of your films? It says on one of the sides of the carton film boxes.

I tried to blame my scratches on temperature, but then I never got close to -18 centigrade, more like -5 and sometimes not even minus.

I saw no difference in density of scratches between films exposed in my Rolleiflex 3.5F and those from the Hasselblad 500CM.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found one box looking in my thrash it's says 016756 1 ,expire 2 2012. I recieved 15 new rolls yesterday with batch number 016956 1, i will test a couple this weekend. It's only minus 2.

Kent

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kameranerd.com View Post
    I found one box looking in my thrash it's says 016756 1 ,expire 2 2012.
    Thanks Kent, exact same batch as where my films came from. Now I am very curious after your results with the newer batch.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just developend 2 films from batch 016956 1 expire 9 2012, and they also have these scratches. They also have holes in the emulsion, so i get black holes on the print. I think i will take a long break from Foma films now.

Kent

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin