Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,420   Online: 862

Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    You can also try a different film and see if you have problems with it or not.
    In 120 I've never had a problem of this type with any of the films that I've used (Pan F, FP4, HP5, Tri-x, TMY, Neopan 400, Acros). It may or may not be coincidental that all these films are from the 'big three'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's any consolation, I've only had problems with the Arista Edu Ultra 100 film in 4x5 (FOMA 100). I get small black dots/rings in the film in highlight areas. I do not get this with ANY other of the big 3 films.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That does mean some consolation Andrew- always nice to know that one is not alone even if the problem is as silly as mine.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm beginning to think that buying Foma, efke and that all cheap films will result in false economy...
    Better stick with the consistency and reliability of Ilford, Kodak and Fuji??

Shooter
    35mm
    Neopan Acros is less than $3 per roll in 120. It's not the same thing as Foma/arista, but if you are shooting the arista to save money you might want to give the Acros a try. IMO it surpasses TMX.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have discovered this, and I agree. The 'look' a film imparts is only so much of the process, and you can often do some things to change the film curve a little bit to suit your needs.

Color rendition, of course, is a different story.

As beautiful as the Foma 100 is, I now only use it for shots that I, without problem, can go back and shoot, (or sometimes I use it if I can't afford my standard film, which is more expensive). Everything else is one single emulsion from one of the big three.

If you want to use the Foma/Efke/Shanghai etc, why not buy a large batch of, meaning hundreds of rolls of it, and test the batch to be good. If it's no good, send it back for a refund or replacement. If it's good keep using it and buy a freezer (the freezer is a good idea anyway).
    That's the only way I would see it as a completely viable endeavor.

- Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    I'm beginning to think that buying Foma, efke and that all cheap films will result in false economy...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    Me too. When I've used up my stock of Foma I'll most likely never buy it again because of its unreliable nature.

Francis

Shooter
    Multi Format

If you want to use the Foma/Efke/Shanghai etc, why not buy a large batch of, meaning hundreds of rolls of it, and test the batch to be good. If it's no good, send it back for a refund or replacement. If it's good keep using it and buy a freezer (the freezer is a good idea anyway).
    That's the only way I would see it as a completely viable endeavor.

- Thomas
    Garbage in Garbage out! Amortize the cost of a freezer, the cost to run it, the time value of money tied up in the freezer and the stock, and save money? You will me money ahead if you just buy Kodak or Ilford as needed and have absolutely no risk. And, you can be assured that the photos you take will not be risked with risky film.

JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    JMHO / fotch - I was merely referring to the 'viable endeavor' with regard to making the Foma 100 emulsion work. I was not referring to saving money. Some people love a certain film so much they will do anything to make it work. And it seemed to me that the original poster was loving the film in every other way.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    JMHO / fotch - I was merely referring to the 'viable endeavor' with regard to making the Foma 100 emulsion work. I was not referring to saving money. Some people love a certain film so much they will do anything to make it work. And it seemed to me that the original poster was loving the film in every other way.

- Thomas
    OK, got it. Makes more sense. Thanks
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin