Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,420   Online: 862
      
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101115 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 259
  1. #41
    sandermarijn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    770
    Images
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    You can also try a different film and see if you have problems with it or not.
    In 120 I've never had a problem of this type with any of the films that I've used (Pan F, FP4, HP5, Tri-x, TMY, Neopan 400, Acros). It may or may not be coincidental that all these films are from the 'big three'.

  2. #42
    Andrew Moxom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Keeping the British end up in Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,870
    Images
    333
    If it's any consolation, I've only had problems with the Arista Edu Ultra 100 film in 4x5 (FOMA 100). I get small black dots/rings in the film in highlight areas. I do not get this with ANY other of the big 3 films.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

  3. #43
    sandermarijn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Leiden, Netherlands
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    770
    Images
    11
    That does mean some consolation Andrew- always nice to know that one is not alone even if the problem is as silly as mine.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    884
    I'm beginning to think that buying Foma, efke and that all cheap films will result in false economy...
    Better stick with the consistency and reliability of Ilford, Kodak and Fuji??

  5. #45
    BetterSense's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Carolina
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    2,863
    Neopan Acros is less than $3 per roll in 120. It's not the same thing as Foma/arista, but if you are shooting the arista to save money you might want to give the Acros a try. IMO it surpasses TMX.
    f/22 and be there.

  6. #46
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,286
    Images
    301
    I have discovered this, and I agree. The 'look' a film imparts is only so much of the process, and you can often do some things to change the film curve a little bit to suit your needs.

    Color rendition, of course, is a different story.

    As beautiful as the Foma 100 is, I now only use it for shots that I, without problem, can go back and shoot, (or sometimes I use it if I can't afford my standard film, which is more expensive). Everything else is one single emulsion from one of the big three.

    If you want to use the Foma/Efke/Shanghai etc, why not buy a large batch of, meaning hundreds of rolls of it, and test the batch to be good. If it's no good, send it back for a refund or replacement. If it's good keep using it and buy a freezer (the freezer is a good idea anyway).
    That's the only way I would see it as a completely viable endeavor.

    - Thomas

    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    I'm beginning to think that buying Foma, efke and that all cheap films will result in false economy...
    Better stick with the consistency and reliability of Ilford, Kodak and Fuji??
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  7. #47
    :Francis:'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Alessandro Serrao View Post
    I'm beginning to think that buying Foma, efke and that all cheap films will result in false economy...
    Better stick with the consistency and reliability of Ilford, Kodak and Fuji??
    Me too. When I've used up my stock of Foma I'll most likely never buy it again because of its unreliable nature.

    Francis

  8. #48
    fotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE WI- USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    ...

    If you want to use the Foma/Efke/Shanghai etc, why not buy a large batch of, meaning hundreds of rolls of it, and test the batch to be good. If it's no good, send it back for a refund or replacement. If it's good keep using it and buy a freezer (the freezer is a good idea anyway).
    That's the only way I would see it as a completely viable endeavor.

    - Thomas
    Garbage in Garbage out! Amortize the cost of a freezer, the cost to run it, the time value of money tied up in the freezer and the stock, and save money? You will me money ahead if you just buy Kodak or Ilford as needed and have absolutely no risk. And, you can be assured that the photos you take will not be risked with risky film.

    JMHO
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

  9. #49
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,286
    Images
    301
    JMHO / fotch - I was merely referring to the 'viable endeavor' with regard to making the Foma 100 emulsion work. I was not referring to saving money. Some people love a certain film so much they will do anything to make it work. And it seemed to me that the original poster was loving the film in every other way.

    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  10. #50
    fotch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    SE WI- USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,117
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    JMHO / fotch - I was merely referring to the 'viable endeavor' with regard to making the Foma 100 emulsion work. I was not referring to saving money. Some people love a certain film so much they will do anything to make it work. And it seemed to me that the original poster was loving the film in every other way.

    - Thomas
    OK, got it. Makes more sense. Thanks
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com



 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin