Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,228   Online: 892

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    While we're on the Which Developer mode, I thought I'd toss this one out there as well.

As I only have Rodinal in my cupboard right now, I am curious to hear what you think gives the best low grain result for Ilford Delta 100 film.

Thanks,

ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    perceptol - 1:1 - is superb - you cant even see the grain in the fine grain focuser. Use at 1:3 for sharper edges but use at 24 deg to shorten the time.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Perceptol or Microdol-X would be my guess as well. It gives excellent results with Delta 400.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i have used delta 100 almost exclusively for years and always develop in ID11 1:1. the grain is minimal with 6x7 negatives and very difficult to see at all with 8x10 enlargements of 4x5 negs. ID11 is apparently very similar to D76 and on some development charts, times are identical for both, though some consider grain a bit less with ID11. usually, with N negatives, i've found 9 minutes at 68 degrees quite satisfactory for 6x7, and 8.5 minutes good for 4x5 when tray developed in batches of 5 or 6 films (with somewhat more frequent agitation than roll film in a tank). sorry i can't offer any comparisons, but i've been quite happy with the results.

i should add that "difficult to see and minimal" refer to grain observed while focusing under the enlarger with a grain magnifier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ka, the basic grain size is manufactured into the film. You can reduce the grain size somewhat by using a silver solvent developer - at the expense of some loss of sharpness and acutance.

My developer preference for Delta 100 is Pyrocat-HD. This developer yields maximum sharpness/acutance with minimum grain and excellent tonality. I expose for the shadows and develop in Pyrocat-HD with semi-stand agitation.

With Delta 100 120 roll film I use Pyrocat-HD diluted 1 part A plus 1 part B plus 100 parts water and develop for 16 minutes, 30 seconds at 68 deg. F.

I gently agitate by inversion for the first 20 seconds, then let the tank stand. After 5 minutes of standing quietly, I agitate with 2 gentle inversions followed by a 5 minute stand, then 2 gentle inversions (at 10 minutes). I dump the tank at 16 1/2 minutes followed by a water rinse - no stop bath, followed by a non-hardening fix.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    XTOL 1-1 or 1-2.
    Pyrocat HD 1-1-100.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all your inputs.

Tom, why isn't a Stop Bath required after the Pyrocat HD?

Images
    Delta 100 and Ilfosol S are a great combination.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ka, a stop bath is not recommended for Pyrocat-HD for two reasons.

1. The alkali used in Pyrocat-HD is Potassium or Sodium Carbonate. Carbonate reacts with Acetic acid stop baths and can form bubbles of carbon dioxide gas in the film emulsion - thus creating pinholes in the emulsion.

2. A stop bath is unecessary with Pyrocat-HD. The working solution of Pyrocat-HD is slow enough acting that it does not require a stop bath.

A water rinse is usually done before fixing to maximize the working life of the fixer.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Tom, that sounds fabulous!!!

So what type of fix do you prefer then? Will any Non-Hardening Fix do?

Thanks very much for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin