Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,432   Online: 854

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilford XP2

XP2 is a c41 process black and white film. I have used this film off and on during the past 2 years with satisfactory results (based on easy processing at my local lab when i don't have the time to process my own). However, the last few times I have used it, the prints have a random splatterin of black spots, ranging in size from barely noticeable on up. I talked with my lab, ad they told me I am the only one bringing them this film, so they don't really have an answer. does anyone have any ideas on what would case this to happen? I could post an example if it would help.

Images
    please post an example. It soulnds like sloppy labwork to me.
    hi!

the first is a full scan of an example. I have boxed the area of concern. The second example is an enlarged area of the box. This only happens with XP2 film, not my color film, or other C41 process BW films.

Any help on what is causing this would be appreciated

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's the lab.

Ok, so it's the lab. I looked at the negs, and the spots are there, so it must be something during processing. Any ideas as to why they are appearing? What would the cause be?

Images
    could be chemical splashes, dust, bad water, you name it. It is probably more noticeable on the XP2 because of it being black and white, it might blend in with the color background...
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Also, XP2 is extremely fine-grained, so flecks show up more than they might on grainier B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If I further magnify your detail scan I can see other similar spots of various shades of gray. Since they are printing as well defined black and grey spots, that indicates that they are low density spots in the emulsion. Therefore they lacked exposed silver, lacked developer or lacked dye. Microscopic examination of the defects should provide additional clues.

This is may be a film problem. You could run an additional check of your lab and film. Expose a roll of C41 color film and a roll of XP2 by taking identical shots of open sky. If there are any processing induced dark spots, they should show up.

If both rolls are clean, you won't know what caused the previous problem.

If both rolls are spotted, it is highly probable that the processing is the culprit.

If only the XP2 is spotted, return the film to Ilford for refund/replacement.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Have you tried cleaning them off?
    "When elephants fight it is the grass that suffers"
    African proverb

IRAQNAM is Bush's legacy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They look like "pinholes" to me ... and as soon as I see pinholes I immediately think "shortstop" - or, more properly, an excessively strong shortstop.

One thing comes to mind ... In the C-41 chemistry that I use now, and have used in the past, there is NO shortstop to be used between color developer and bleach-fix. I wonder ... could it be that someone is assuming that even though XP2 is a "chromogenic" film requiring C-41, they are "hooked" on the idea that it is still black and white, and therefore *MUST* require a shortstop?

Is it possible to communicate with your lab and get more information about the specific process?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin