Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,164   Online: 892

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    XTOL is sensitive to very high Iron content in the water

Depending on where you live, the Iron content can be too high for it cope with.

Reverse Osmosis water is an acceptable alternative to De-Ionised.

As posted my Fanshaw - Mineral Water sold in almost every supermarket is another suitable alternative - look for one with a low mineral content

Don’t use condensate from your AC system – its full of nasties :o

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mix all stock solutions with deionised water, and most working (single use) with tap water. Some working sols require deionised for optimum results. If your tap water is fairly putre then a faucet filter is sufficient to supply your needs.

Rick

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe View Post
    do i need to use distilled water for mixing developer and dilution? i'm thinking about xtol developer.
    For XTOL, yes. The reason is dissolved iron. If you have cast iron pipes in the water supply chain, you'll have some amount of dissolved iron in the water. Iron has been implicated in "early XTOL death" where the developer suddenly quits working. Mixing with steam distilled water seems to solve this particular problem.

I don't know if reverse osmosis would get the iron out. But steam distillation seems to do the trick.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    so would a filter like this http://www.brita.com/products/faucet-filtration/basic/ work?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe View Post
    To take out some particulates, yes, but mostly the biggest stuff. To take out dissolved minerals and chems, not so much. An activated charcoal element will take out some of the organics, but it probably will have little effect on dissolved iron. But I'm hardly an expert.
    Bruce Watson
    AchromaticArts.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce, your quite wrong, these and the jug filters work remarkably well as long as you realise they are designed for smaller volumes of water, they are ion-exchange filters so will take most of the dissolved minerals out of hard tap water, certainly sufficient fo processing uses.

My filter takes out the dissolved Iron, although it's a cheap brand compared to a Britax. I also have a lab de-ioniser which doesn't get used as the small filters are more than adequate.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-21-2010 at 02:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: add

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always use distilled water when mixing up Xtol or diluting it. The expense is not that bad, and it's a sensible precaution. How many people actually know the iron content of their water and are prepared to evaluate it?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another vote for the Britax type system.

I use the jug and sometimes prepare about 10 - 15 litres in advance of my film processing, then store it in a large clean water carrier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Distilled water is not expensive, at least in the USA. $1 a gallon. I'm poor and even I can afford that to avoid risk of my photos out coming out right.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin