Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,113   Online: 876

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Are you claiming that distilled water is the same as soft water?
    Of course not, soft water just contains less dissolved minerals than hard water.

The heart disease study infered that something in hard water has a protective action on the heart. My post was directed to people who think that drinking distilled water or softened water is safer than drinking tap water.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am living in a country which all or most tap water are hard and un-drinkable, and difficult to get distilled water or it is costly, good that you told me about XTOL, so before i mix that developer i have to find where i can get distilled water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Use a Brita (TM) filter which can be installed on-line or via a water can.
    It is an anion- kation and carbon filter. One filter takes till max. 100 ltr. and the costs are around Eur. 4,-
    Xtol is sensitive for metal ions so are (low) contrast document developers. Problems from black spotts in the negative and stripes and drying marks are the problems of bad tap water till a shorten lifespan of the powder stock developer.

The advantage of using Brita is it's almost direct available as perfect photo water. If you want to minimize the dissolved oxygen you can cook it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope that filter will do the job, is it good enough or still not on par? from the discussion here i still don't know if it is a good option to consider, it will not give pure distilled water, or am i wrong? also the question is, how good [or pure] water to be used for mixing?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No only demi-water.
    Pure water they are making with Reversed Osmose, a UV lamp and a fine 10um carbon filter. Then it can be used for chemical analysis. For making it you need a Millipore MQ water system. Pretty expensive too.

I have very good results with the Brita filter system. BTW nice for drinking too which is not a good idea with MQ water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    No only demi-water.
    Pure water they are making with Reversed Osmose, a UV lamp and a fine 10um carbon filter. Then it can be used for chemical analysis. For making it you need a Millipore MQ water system. Pretty expensive too.

I have very good results with the Brita filter system. BTW nice for drinking too which is not a good idea with MQ water.
    I work in a local government department and we have a lab for health and environment, they have a machine to get distilled water, and they told me i can have a certain amount of the water, maybe free or very low price if they can't give it free, so i may try with them, but the problem is that i may get a distilled water from them but then i can't be sure it will be clean for long time, and mostly when i have to prepare or mix the developer on the box it is written i need to use high temp, so how i can be sure if i will use the water in heating or stored it will remain clean distilled water or free mostly of any particles.?!!! or it doesn't matter much and it will not be a big deal?

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have thought about this and here is the way I look at it. If I use tap water at my house it comes from a well and the Ph changes depending on the time of year, amount of rain and whatever else I can't even imagine. Distiled water is water and water only, and if I buy the same brand all the time it should be the same within reason every time. I'm making photos for for myself so the tweak from tap water probably wouldn't mater to me, it might make a difference, but I probably won't care. Still I use distiled water to mix developer, I have enough trouble in my life, I don't want to worry if it was the water that messed me up on that roll of film.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I never use distilled water for anything, straight out of the tap and I have never had a problem,Richard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin