Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,467   Posts: 1,570,729   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

distilled water for mixing developer?

do i need to use distilled water for mixing developer and dilution? i'm thinking about xtol developer.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    no not really, however when you get to toning i would suggest that distilled is the way to go for the toners.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Funny, I've done the opposite and it works OK.

You can't really go wrong using distilled either way - better to err on the side of caution.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes for film dev. No for paper.
    For some toners definitely yes.
    G.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess the answer depends on the water quality where you live. Where I live the water is always drinkable but the mineral and other dissolved solids content can vary depending on which well field the town is using at the time. To eliminate variables I always used distilled water for everything but the final wash, although for film I do a final rinse with Edwal LFN and distilled water.

Ash

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just as a data point - I used to be really paranoid about mixing with distilled - esp expensive chemicals and film dev. I got really sick of spending the money on distilled water and just started using tap one day about 10-15 years ago. Since then I have moved all over the world with water quality all over the map.

I have seen NO practical difference in any of the film dev chemistry I use. Your milage may vary.

For toners - depending on what toner you use you may see a slight difference. Maybe.

RB

Ps. someday I may actually measure the thing that I suppose has the biggest impact on film dev PH just to see if it makes ANY measurable difference in the actual PH of the developer - I doubt it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    you have to actually buy distilled water? can't i make it somehow? well it sounds like it's not too big of a deal.. thanks guys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    you can make distilled water. there are instructional videos on youtube.

basically boil the water, trap the steam and let the vapor cool. turns into water.

Neopolitan water is very hard. I've done it a few times for mixing developer. Pretty much i just use a brita filter now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Commercial developers don't generally need making up with distilled or de-ionised water, they contain sequestering agents to cope with all but the very worst tap water, the odd exception will say in the mixing instructions when distilled deionised water is needed.

It is best practice to use distilled or de-ionised water if you're making up developers etc from raw chemicals, and the simplest solution is to us a small jug type deionising filter, (Britax or similar).

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Some bottled water sold in supermarkets for drinking has very low mineral content and is a cheap alternative to distilled water. The analysis is printed on the bottle.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin