Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,714   Posts: 1,514,729   Online: 826

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

TMAX 400 & Neopan 400 FWIW..

FWIW, here are tow different shots each made with TMAX 400 and Neopan 400. Both rolls were developed in XTOL 1:1. Different tanks but in the same session

I used my RB67 and had two backs. A 120 back loaded with Neopan 400 and a 645 back loaded with TMAX 400. I don't have 2, 120 backs... I used the same body, lens, tripod, lighting, f/stop and speed for each. Only change the back for each shot.

I thought the results were interesting and showed the difference between the two films.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Imbuia-back-corner-4_Neopan 400_850x682.jpg   Imbuia-back-corner--3_TMAX_850x623.jpg   Cam-&-shell--7_TMAX 400_850x733.jpg   Cam-&-Shell-9_Neopan-400_850x724.jpg  
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    35mm
    Interesting and thanks. Did you stick to the recommended(Kodak) times for each? Are these scans of the negs? I haven't used TMax but I have used Neopan 400 and found it more contrasty than Ilford films such as HP5+, FP4+, D100, D400 and yet it looks as if Tmax gives even more contrasty negs still.

I think on balance I prefer the Fuji negs but were I to see another 10 comparisons I accept that I might prefer some TMax negs and some Fuji negs.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The big difference between TMY2 and Neopan is that TMY2 has a perfectly linear scale over a huge range,
    while Neopan 400 has a strong shoulder. I've included Kodak's Xtol curves as a reference, and while images are always more useful than graphs, using the excellent data from Kodak and Fuji (Kodak, more so) is a good reference.

First, the graphs show that TMY is not so much contrasty as it is neutral. We see in the graph that at lower CI, TMY and Neopan have practically the same response across their range. Given more contrast, the films have similar contrast in their shadows, but Neopan begins to lower the image contrast in the highlights.

The pictures showing the binding of your fiddle, and the figure of the wood, suggest the difference is due more to variations in the development and less to nature of the films. Neopan and TMY2 can reproduce this subject exactly the same. I think if the Neopan had more development, the images would match. Pretty fiddle !

NB The graph is from an earlier version of TMY, but the response of the film is the same as TMY2.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Neopan-400-_-TMY2-_-XTOL.gif  
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes I did use the recommended times and used standard aggitation for first 30 sec. and 5 sec. each 30 sec. These are negative scans and have only been resized for the forum. No changes in curves or contrast.

In my results, the TMAX 400 has more contrast using "standard" development times. Not saying that is good or bad jsut different and my results.
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The TMY s showing a warmer tone.

Anyone else seeing this or is it my monitor.

It's really evident in the second series with the shell.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well these are neg scans, right stradibarrius? If so I wouldn't read anything into the warmer tone. Or are they contacts or something?

DF, thanks for your curves, I am kinda scratching my head looking for evidence of the shoulder in the posted shots though. Perhaps auto-leveling in the neg scans supresses that... I should be looking at highlights, right, expecting to see a difference in the highlight differentation...?
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keith

I'm guessing that the Fuji was just developed to a lower CI than the TMY2,
    and probably the highlights were just too low on the curve to hit the shoulder.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Be that as it may, df, let me suggest to Stradibarrius that he scan them side by side, taking care to treat them as one neg in the sense that they are auto-leveled together. Then it may be more obvious. When we select a neg to scan, most software will (probably) auto level the selected portion of the neg, in other words the software will automatically assign a black point and a white point. So if you load them side by side and select them together.... then you may get a more useful comparison.

But you're right df, there's no guarantee they were developed to similar CI. But I guess stradibarrius used times that give roughly maximum CI(?)....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I will scan the two negs. together Keith so we can see. I think the Neopan is warmer. The negative looks that way and the scan does as well. My experience with Neopan is that it always has that creamy look to it where the TMAX looks more contrasty???
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    So you are doing colour scans?

If so I think you need to lose the colour, it doesn't mean anything about how it will print and is just an artifact of the base and how you level the scan.

Various people suggest scanning in colour is best. I think that applies mostly when using a staining developer, but... to each his/her own. But in the end, the paper and the toning is what imparts colour, not the neg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin