Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,138   Online: 921

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF

Adorama FB VC Paper

I did a search and could only find old threads about the RC variety. Has anyone tried the Adorama house brand of fiber paper? It's priced at $1/sheet for 11x14, so it's really tempting. Any opinions or info appreciated. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's been awhile since I've used it and the manufacturer may have changed, but I liked it. I thought it was good stuff. It was rumored that Ilford made the RC paper for Adorama and they may have made the FB version as well; don't know who makes it now. Perhaps Kentmere?

It was fun to actually watch this paper fix in the tray under the safelight. You could see the "milky haze" of the silver halide disappear in the fix.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I hope it's not Kentmere, because that's what I'm running from!

Shooter
    35mm
    Its foma paper if you are talking about the EDU.Ultra stuff. I used it in a black and white photography class I took last semester. Its good, but the emulsion is like glue as it dries. I couldn't use the print drier or even a blotter book because it would cement itself to whatever it touched while drying. Had to air dry.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Adorama, not Arista

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear cbphoto,

Give it a try. They have a 10 8x10 sheet sample pack for $5.57. http://www.adorama.com/VBSPF.html

Even a 25 sheet pack is only $12.75.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One of the sales people at Adorama told me that the paper stock for their new house brand was made in the Czech Republic, and coated in England. I have no way of knowing if this is true or not. That's what I was told. I tried sample packs of both the RC and FB versions of the paper. The old stuff was good and this is just as good, though a little bit faster (by about 1/2 stop) under my enlarger. It's closest and best competition, Arista.EDU Ultra, is good too but very different. Arista.EDU Ultra is slightly warm and warms up considerably in selenium. Adorama paper is much colder, and doesn't show an appreciable tone change in selenium. The Adorama paper is a bit more "punchy" through the middle and lower values too. I like them both. It's nice to have papers with different signatures. Choose the one that works for the image you want to create.
    Last edited by fschifano; 01-30-2010 at 10:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm RF
    They told me the same thing. I guess I was wondering if "coated in England" meant Ilford or Kentmere. I was hoping for Ilford.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear cbphoto,

Give it a try. They have a 10 8x10 sheet sample pack for $5.57. http://www.adorama.com/VBSPF.html

Even a 25 sheet pack is only $12.75.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra
    It's not the money, it's the time. If I just went and tried everything I was curious about, I'd never accomplish anything! The internet is here to help us to not reinvent the wheel constantly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    They told me the same thing. I guess I was wondering if "coated in England" meant Ilford or Kentmere. I was hoping for Ilford.
    Does it matter? Ilford owns Kentmere and has for a while now. Do you think they're still running two separate coating plants? Personally I don't care where the stuff comes from. It's a good product at a very economical price and worth the effort to try it.
    Frank Schifano

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin