Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,851   Posts: 1,582,861   Online: 821

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

kentmere 100/400 in xtol? were do I start

trying to find some film to use in bulk so put in an order at freestyle for couple different single rolls. one of them happened to be kentmere 400 and 100 and my problem now is I can't seem to find any rough starting times for developing this stuff in xtol.

massive dev chart is empty and I'm not having much lucky looking around anywere else. any ideas of some rough starting times?

Shooter
    35mm
    If there's nothing out there, or if nobody else has any development times, then try the times listed for D76. More often than not, they're quite close, but you'll need to test and fine tune.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't know how much help it is, but I ordered a bulk of Kentmere 400, and in this crappy Sprint Developer we use at school, it seemed to develop a little dense with published times for HP5+. I'm getting some Ilfosol 3 to try it...

Actually, there were published times on the box of film, but I threw it away. The Massive DEvelopment Chart has times listed (though no for xtol).
    Vincent Purcell
    Lexington KY Photographer + Media Artist
    http://vincenttpurcell.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As Anon wrote, development times for XTOL and D-76 are remarkably close for most films. If you have no other data, this would make for a very good starting point. Any adjustments will likely be quite small.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    35mm
    I ended up just doing 1:7 dilution and let it sit for about an hour to hour 1/2 or so with around 30 seconds initial agitation and then once at around half hour I shook it around for a couple more seconds. came out dense and haven't tried printing them yet to see how it would look as I figured might as well put this roll up for experimentation. though I do have this strange band on the bottom of the film near the edge with little developement while the rest of it came out nice and dark. not sure what happened there as this was the section on the bottom of the tank and so I know it was exposed to developer and not an undefill situation.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you compare the development times for HP5+ and Kentmere 400, it seems that at 20'C they recommend on average an extra 2 to 2.5 minutes of development time for Kentmere versus HP5+.

I am shooting a roll of Kentmere 400 which I intend to develop in XTOL, I'll develop for approximately 11 minutes in XTOL 1:1 versus the recommended 8.5 minutes for HP5+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jadedoto View Post
    ... in this crappy Sprint Developer we use at school, it seemed to develop a little dense with published times for HP5+. I'm getting some Ilfosol 3 to try it...
    Vincent: Sprint Developer is not so crappy. Look under the hood, it is probably closer to Ilfosol than you could guess.

Paul Krot was a genius photographer, and one of the greatest-ever all time photo teachers (RISD), not to mention legendary photo-chemist. If a developer could have heart and soul, it is Sprint. It was made to do EXACTLY what you are trying to do.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sprint does have times published for the Kentmere films time chart, and the time for the 400 is longer vs. that of HP-5 so going in that direction as TimeShare says makes sense for a starting point. I'm surprised that Ilford hasn't put up a time for xtol as yet. I'm also surprised they make it so hard to get from the Ilford site to the Kentmere site, well, not so hard but not so clear either.
    Why do students always hate on the stuff the school provides? Hmm. Just a rhetorical question.

Shooter
    Multi Format

sprint away

Quote Originally Posted by Jadedoto View Post
    I don't know how much help it is, but I ordered a bulk of Kentmere 400, and in this crappy Sprint Developer we use at school, it seemed to develop a little dense with published times for HP5+. I'm getting some Ilfosol 3 to try it...

Actually, there were published times on the box of film, but I threw it away. The Massive DEvelopment Chart has times listed (though no for xtol).
    digital truth list the development time for hp5 as 10 mins.

A quick glance at the sprint systems website list a development time of 1130 for kentmere. both these times are for 20C.

What temp did you develop at?

Sprint isn't a crappy developer. I used it for 3 years.

editxx
    looking at a few combos it looks like the times for kentmere are very close to the times for delta 400
    Last edited by Cainquixote; 02-11-2010 at 11:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: more info

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't tried this myself, but I did find this (and this thread) while Googling for experiences with Kentmere 400 pushed to 800:

http://www.photax.se/film/kentmere/k..._film_data.htm

Although it's in Swedish, you'll find some development times for Kodak XTOL and Kentmere 400, but _not_ for Kentmere 100
    "Konc" (short for "koncentrat") means stock (ie, no dilution).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin