Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,424   Online: 1049

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by roy
    Over the coming weekend I may well give it the ultimate test. My old bottle of Rodinal is going to meet up with an out of date Agfa APX 25 film I exposed for interest.
    Were I to find myself in your position, I'd think twice about this. Not because it's a bad idea (it's great idea), but because I'm sure the Fates would deem that out of date APX 25 developed in really old Rodinal is the perfect combination, and I'd find myself out of aged film, developer, or both.

Seriously though...I'd be interested to hear how things turn out for you.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    I'm sure the Fates would deem that out of date APX 25 developed in really old Rodinal is the perfect combination
    How did you know that ?! The film was APX25 with an expiry date of 07/97. The developer was Rodinal with a batch number of 76393 and I marked on the box "started 24th June,1997. In fact it had lain idle for so long that the residual developer from the initial use had stuck to the cap and there was a real risk that I might have to throw the bottle away as the cap would not budge. One of those press down and twist caps where it is difficult to get a good purchase. My son tried also and it was only by the application of hot water to the cap that I got it undone. I used a dilution of 1:100 for a partial stand of 20 minutes, agitating for 10 seconds every 3 minutes. (see how all this talk about partial stand and Pyrocat has influenced me) after a pre-soak of 2 minutes. The pre-soak water came out black and I dare not mention what colour the used developer was. Hypam fix after two plain water rinses in lieu of a stop bath, followed by a 5 minute wash in running water.

The 120 film is drying as I speak and the negatives look very good. White flowers with very nice tonality. I am glad I treated the film reasonably seriously as I am sure I have got some useful shots. BTW the film was kept in a camera bag.

I have to say that even though this has been a success, I just happened to have the components available and I would still consider it risky to use similar materials for something important. In a way it adds to the problem as there is now a quandry as to whether to use out of date materials, knowing that they could work.

I must check out those other camera bags !!
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Way to go Roy! As part of photography is in the joy of discovery you show us all what kind of fun this "Easter Egg Hunt" can be! Thats one of the reasons I'll try most any film or developer combo I get my hands on, especially films!
    Will you be posting the results soon?
    Gary Beasley

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by glbeas
    Will you be posting the results soon?
    I shall have to see what I can do. I do not have a scanner although we do have a digi workstation at the club I belong to so I can probably scan a neg onto a floppy. I might print one but I do not feel that those scans always do it justice. I am just pleased and amused that I have got a film out of it all, particularly as the materials were suspect and the dev timing was made up !!
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I actually had something similar happen to me recently, and it so happened that I had a 120 roll of APX25, and a bottle of Rodinal that had a brown slush that would rattle if I shook the bottle (which I think meant that parts of the developer had crystalized).
    Anyway, I developed it with a 1+50 dilution in tank, agitating 5 seconds every half minute, and to my surprise, the negs came out looking quite normal. Can't really tell them apart in density, sharpness or grain from other APX25 negs developed in fresh developer.

Was a fun little experiment.

- Thomas
    Saint Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by roy
    How did you know that ?! The film was APX25 with an expiry date of 07/97. The developer was Rodinal with a batch number of 76393 and I marked on the box "started 24th June,1997. In fact it had lain idle for so long that the residual developer from the initial use had stuck to the cap and there was a real risk that I might have to throw the bottle away as the cap would not budge. One of those press down and twist caps where it is difficult to get a good purchase. My son tried also and it was only by the application of hot water to the cap that I got it undone. I used a dilution of 1:100 for a partial stand of 20 minutes, agitating for 10 seconds every 3 minutes. (see how all this talk about partial stand and Pyrocat has influenced me) after a pre-soak of 2 minutes. The pre-soak water came out black and I dare not mention what colour the used developer was. Hypam fix after two plain water rinses in lieu of a stop bath, followed by a 5 minute wash in running water.

The 120 film is drying as I speak and the negatives look very good. White flowers with very nice tonality. I am glad I treated the film reasonably seriously as I am sure I have got some useful shots. BTW the film was kept in a camera bag.

I have to say that even though this has been a success, I just happened to have the components available and I would still consider it risky to use similar materials for something important. In a way it adds to the problem as there is now a quandry as to whether to use out of date materials, knowing that they could work.

I must check out those other camera bags !!

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Last weekend I exposed a roll of FP4+ at ISO 125 of two females outdoors and processed it in Xtol with a dilution of 1:1. The prints I later made were phenomenal as to tonality and a lack of grain. The dilution was based on a recommendation on page 150 of Stephen Anchell and Bill Troop's "The Darkroom Cookbook"[I]book. I highly recommend you buy this book for Extol and other developers and dilutions, for you can't go wrong with the wonderful results of their research therein.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks for the info, I will try it for sure.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin