Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,699   Online: 709

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I just developed my first roll of FP4+ rated at ASA160 in rodinal 1:25 dilution, very excited. I am happy that I didn't ruin the film, except a little dust on the film.

After exam the negatives under a 4X loupe, I found they are a bit grainier than the negatives I got from photo lab, I didn't ask them what developer they use.

My question is, can I use rodinal full strength, and is it going to give finer grain? What other developer do you recommend to try?

Thanks for your help.

Images
    I believe yo ushould go the other way try 1+50 or 1+100
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a few hints: If you rate your film lower and develope shorter you might like the results even more as they become easier to print and less grainy. Try 80 ASA instead of 160. To reduce the dust, wet the shower-cabin and let the film dry in there.

To to keep the grain as small as possible two things help with rodinal, first dilute more. Rodinal behaves just opposite to say D-76 with repect to graininess and dilution. Try 1:50. 1:100 may lead to exhaustion. Agfa says to use at least 10ml stock per roll, for what this is worth. They may just be interested to sell more Rodinal.

Keep the temp below 68F. Yes, this an old rule with rodinal. Never drive up the temperature to save time. I have a text-book from 1949 that even asks to develope at 16°C, 18°C being the standard at this time. This guy is a long term Rodinal user and claims that oatmeal-grain and raised temperature go hand in hand with rodinal: http://www.eak-fotografie.de/
    If I was still using Rodinal I would follow his advice.

Szefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use rodinal 1:25 with FP4+ all the time at around 70degrees and i have no idea what grain you are talking about
    I once spent a good 10 mins trying to focus a fp4+ negative on the enlarger cause the grain focuser didnt show any grain! so i went with the sharpness.

I just hate staying in the dark for a long time so i always use 1:25 with rodinal. 1:50 or 1:100 would take forever.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thank you guys, it's really great to get some helps. I will try to shoot the FP4+ at 80asa and develop with rodinal 1:50 at below 68 degree, too see if it's gets better.

next is to try shoot the film at 100asa, 125asa, develop in 1:25, 1:50... I think I will get it right.

Once the lid is closed, the light can be turned on, so I really don't mind a longer development time.

Hi, Skahde, the link is great, too bad I can't read the language.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Deniz
    I once spent a good 10 mins trying to focus a fp4+ negative on the enlarger cause the grain focuser didnt show any grain! so i went with the sharpness.
    Deniz,

what magic potion do you add to your rodinal? I used 1:25 once and kept the negs in the darkroom for years as they made a nice alignment-test. If this big, well defined grain was sharp corner to corner in the focusser as well as on the test-strips, I could be sure everything was within spec.

Stefan

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skahde
    Keep the temp below 68F. Yes, this an old rule with rodinal. Never drive up the temperature to save time. I have a text-book from 1949 that even asks to develope at 16°C, 18°C being the standard at this time. This guy is a long term Rodinal user and claims that oatmeal-grain and raised temperature go hand in hand with rodinal: http://www.eak-fotografie.de/
    If I was still using Rodinal I would follow his advice.
    This is very interesting to me as Summer is coming and my tap water is soon going to be above 21ºc. I was thinking of adjusting my times according to temperature rather than going through the hassle of trying to lower my solution temps with ice. Now I am not sure how this will affect my results with other developers as well as with Rodiinol.

Also. Does anybody have any advice concerning processing with Rodinol in a JOBO? Any oxidation issues at higher dilutions? How's the grain and contrast?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you think the temperature-issue with Rodinal needs closer inspection develope a foot or so at 18°C and another one at 24°C. You can judge by yourself if you find a difference, provided you look at equally dense parts.

BTW: If your developing times aren't too long you can mix developer at the right temperature from a gallon of tap water stored in a fridge and use the rest to keep the tank cool as needed. Just put a thermometer into the tank between inversion cycles and watch where the temperature is going.

Stefan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    Also. Does anybody have any advice concerning processing with Rodinol in a JOBO? Any oxidation issues at higher dilutions? How's the grain and contrast?
    I use Rodinal all the time in the CPP-2. I do not dilute beyond 1:50 --- I tried that once,and if my cloudy memory serves --- everything was defintely underdeveloped ... I think there might be some problems, not with "oxidization" (??? I mix immediately before use - and only use Rodinal as a "one-shot" developer - so there is vey little time to "oxidize"), but something due to short-time contact with the film at higher dilutions .. the opposite of "stand" development...? - Or something like that ...

All that said, Rodinal has become my "favorite" black and white developer. I really like its "clean" action -- and, as I've written before, I can deal with apparent grain in printing - effectively.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    I think there might be some problems, not with "oxidization" (??? I mix immediately before use - and only use Rodinal as a "one-shot" developer - so there is vey little time to "oxidize.
    I prefer "oxidation". I'll never miss an opportunity to drop a syllable, especially one that has a "Z" in it.

Thanks for the info.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin