Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,880   Online: 836

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've definately made my best negs with Tri-X, it's unbelievably forgiving and has great tone.

It appears I've lost my avatar, I'll have to take a look and see if Bogie is still among the choices.

By the way, "Mobtown" is an old nickname for Baltimore, fair city of my birth-one of Baltimore's several nicknames, which refers to a time of rivalry between various political gangs in the early to mid 19th century. More recently, "Charm City" is popular, so no need to fear a visit to my turf...any APUGers are always welcome!

The films I have tried which I find have the most satisfying tonality are usually the European films.

:Apx 100 & 400 processed either in rodinal or calbe A49
    ( I wish that Apx 400 was available in 8x10 )

Fortepan 200 and Efke 100 processed in PyrocatHD

Efke 25 processed in Rodinal is also uniquely beautiful.

I like TXP but I have not yet tried the new version in 8x10. I wonder how well it stains compared to Forte/Classicpan 200.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FP4 for most situations. Lately I've been fascinated with AGFA APX100 in roll film. I find the results using Barry Thorntons 2-bath developer to be wonderful. Great success with Pyrocat HD as well; 1:1:100.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    HP5+ in Perceptol or Rodinal for 120 and 4x5 inch zonesystem work. Delta 100 in my homebrew metol 2-bath for 35 mm snapshots.
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APX100 is a gret loss in 5x4. I love the 120 simply because of wonderful tonality. I have used Efke PL100 in 5x4 and it is quite grainy, but truly beautiful. I am going 10x8 and will use this exclusively probably. FP4 is a super alrounder, but I will try Delta 100 having been disappointed with TMAX100 in 5x4. Only trouble is only TMAX100 and Acros are available in quickload and acros is ridiculously expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi,

I honestly think you can use either of those films. I have tried them all and like them all. They are all wonderful films. My pick would be APX100, because it's such a good all-round film. It can be developed to achieve a small enough grain to make very large prints, and it can also be pushed several stops for speed.
    Pan-F+ is ISO50 - and its disadvantage is that it's ISO50 - too slow for some. Tri-X arguably has a larger grain than the others, which can be of disadvantage. Both APX100 and FP4+ are good all-round medium-speed films, and it's a matter of personal taste which you prefer.

My advice is to start using any of those films, but pick one. Use that film exclusively. Get to know its qualities, its weaknesses and strengths. When you're illuminated with an in-depth knowledge of the film you like to use, your results will be consistent. You will also have a much easier time printing, because you know better what to expect.

There is one down-side to this approach. If all of a sudden the film you use would be withdrawn from the market you have to go learn a new film again.

Anyway, bottom line is - Pick one film and stick with it. You can get wonderful results with either of the films mentioned.

Hope that helps,

- Thomas

Saint Paul, MN

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Delta 100 for portrature, because it sings, skin tones have depth, generous printing latitude.
    K. L. Taylor
    Black and White Studios

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka
    Delta 100 for portrature, because it sings, skin tones have depth, generous printing latitude.
    For exactly the same reasons, I prefer FP4+ or EFKE 25. Sometimes XP2 if extreme latitude is needed.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Can I just put a vote in Fuji Neopan 400 here? Any reasons why everyone else seems to prefer Tri-X & HP5?

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    Can I just put a vote in Fuji Neopan 400 here? Any reasons why everyone else seems to prefer Tri-X & HP5?
    If that is what you like and gives you the results you want, fine. I have tried a lot of films and never standardised on any in particular. All of the films you mention are very good and I think the differences are quite small.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin