Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,082   Online: 905

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Paper choice for infra red film

I have just shot my first roll of Konica IR750 and have printed a couple of the pictures. As a relative beginner i'm using RC paper and have a choice of Jessops Gloss or Lustre. On my course last night we had a lively debate on the merits of these two finishes, especially when used for printing my IR pics.
    I personally found the lustre finish a lot more appealing but was generally overruled.
    What do you use and why? And can you perhaps recommend some papers i could try to expand my reportoire.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    when I shot a lot of infrared I used Kodak Ektalure G with type2 developer. But that was a while ago and I'm not sure it's still available. I've never seen a better combination for IR..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    doesn't matter what the film is, I prefer lower sheen surfaces.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Personal preference with RC papers is for a pearl or lustre surface. Gloss is (IHMO) just too damn shiny!

I'm just starting out with FB and have only tried gloss finish with air drying. This is far better than the RC gloss, obviously I won't know how it compares with other FB finishes until I try 'em!

Personally I prefer Ilford Multigrade to the Jessops papers... ...and top tip if your college darkroom safelight is at all dodgy (ours was on a par with a sunlamp!); Ilford Multigrade RC Warmtone resists safelight flashing / fogging much better than the normal or Cooltone variants.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm with the glossy brigade ... for FB anyway - a glossy finish gives much deeper blacks, althgouh I've only used ilford MGFB, so cant comment on others. I only use RC for contact/proof sheets, and do use glossy for that - only 'cos that is all I've got!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have used Ilford in the past. Got the Jessops as we have to show that we have used different papers and i don't mind it. I would agree the glossy isn't as good looking as Ilfords but as I said, i prefer the lustre finish anyway.
    Last edited by sparx; 05-26-2004 at 05:14 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: lousy grammar
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If your neg has sufficient punch and you're looking for something different, try Kentmere Art Classic. It's only available (correct me if I'm wrong, someone!) in a hardish grade 2 and is triple-weight FB, but the surface texture is wonderful, sort of like good quality watercolour paper. Works really well for creamy, dreamy, soft-focus images and (I'm led to believe) tones nicely too.
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another vote for lustre RC or glossy FB here. Fortezo Museum in FB, and Varycon RC. They both respond well to lith-developing, which is one of the really great ways to print IR negatives.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If I'm printing something that is going behind glass, I won't use glossy RC but I will use air dried glossy FB. Glossy RC is too prone to "hot spots" for my liking.

I love the current Jessop RC in the lustre finish. However, I have tried not to become too attached to "rebadged" papers, as there seems to be more scope for unannounced product changes. I have heard it conjectured that Jessop's is rebadging a major brand product, but only they know for sure, and (I guess) the situation may change at any time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    AllanD, that is something i hadn't considered. I won't take too much notice of my notes then. I think i will soon be moving onto FB paper for my own personal picture stash at least. The general consensus is FB in glossy so i will be giving it a go.
    [/size]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin