Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,776   Online: 920

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Night shots

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hello Andrew,

you might try also this link
    it is written in German...
    http://www.wolfgangmothes.de/nachtaufnahmen203.pdf

Fred

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Star-stopper

The only way to get rid of "stars" around blown-out highlights is to have an aperture without overlapping leaves--either a waterhouse stop or a lens used wide open (although a few lenses still have blades exposed even wide open.)

This is one of the reasons I like my Mamiya 50/6.3 on 6x9 so much for night work--it's so slow (and wide) that you actually have a lot of DOF wide open, and it's certainly sharp wide open as well. If only it were multi-coated....

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm
    Your Microdol-X soup should be at 75 degrees, not 68, when diluted 1:3. This is per Stephen Anchell and Bill Troop's book, wherein they recommend processing it for 13 minutes at this ratio and this temperature. A pro photographer I know told me to develop it for 18, not 13, minutes based on these factors. His full statement is as follows:

"For some time I searched for a developer for Tri-X film that was soft enough in the highlights so that they didn't block with full development. The old standby, D-76, even in its diluted form, blocked the highlights more than I wanted. I found my softer developer in Microdol-X about twenty years ago. With Tri-X I use it diluted 1:3 for the additional compensating action in the shadow areas. My development times are long, usually 18 minutes at 74 degrees, but I get a full ISO 400 and the negatives will show detail in brilliant snow or in a burned-in overexposed flash foreground light on down to the proverbial black cat in coalbin shadows."

I have gotten beautiful results with his recommendation above with my Leica lenses. I highly suggest you try this development technique, too. Remember, though, that the star effect you mention can be partly produced by the lenses you use--the quality of their glass and coatings. My Leica lenses do not produce flare at all. Whose lenses have you been using?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Josef Guay
    I have had good success with night shots using T-Max 100 developed in PMK. The negatives are fairly easy to print. I also found a lens hood to be very helpfull in preventing flare from stray light.
    Theoretically PMK (or Pyrocat-HD) should minimise halo because of the gelatin hardening effect. I have used PMK for church interiors including grossly overexposed windows, and found quite good detail retained in the window area. This was with TMax 400 in 35mm.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Andrew Sanderson wrote a good book appropriately called Night Photography. Mainly using various B&W films and formats. It's a great how-to book which includes information on exposure/development to printing. Dealing with any lighting issue you'll find out there. The hip tools are the charts of relative exposure times.
    Cheers
    The Rat

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    tbm: Are you saying that Leica lenses, used stopped down, will not produce "stars" from blown-out in-scene light sources? I have some difficulty believing this.

If coating deficiencies were to blame for "stars" I wouldn't be able to suppress them so easily by shooting my single-coated old Mamiyas wide open. Flare is most assuredly coating (and surface count) related, but that's not what's under discussion--"stars" are. They can't be fixed with good coating, good film, good developer or even a shamrock in your pocket. They're an aperture phenomenon, period.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like to shoot Ilford Delta 3200 at night. Also handheld for blurry and weird shots. It's grainy nature is NICE and moody for nightshots.

Morten

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin