Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,500   Online: 929

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paper developer

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Paper developer

I currently use Agfa FB developed in Dektol 1:3. When I have the time, I tone in Rapid Selenium 1:19. I am satisfied with the toned prints but wondering if other developers may provide an even greater range of tones. Ansco 130 has a good reputation for this, though I do not know what differences could be seen in a print in Ansco 130 versus Dektol after toning in selenium.

Am I beating a dead horse here? Is there any point in looking into some alternative paper developers?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There is talk in the literature about developers effecting the toning results, as well as the fixer type. With a non hardner fixer being the standard for non staining.I found that paper type makes a huge different.

If you are happy with your results continue to do what you are doing, it you just want to be playful and experiment try some other paper types with one developer and then move to another. If you get too many variables going your eyes will glaze over. Just my 2 cents worth.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Very good 2 part article in View Camera (March/April & May/June issues) by Bruce Barlow - "The Great Paper/Developer Shoot-out". Dektol, 4-6 mins for fiber, was his preferred developer. I like Photo Formulary's version (TD-30).
    Have to admit, though, the articles are a bit rambling.
    Last edited by doughowk; 05-29-2004 at 11:40 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Apparently not everybody like it.....

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ic/498648.html

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by H. G. Hart
    I currently use Agfa FB developed in Dektol 1:3. When I have the time, I tone in Rapid Selenium 1:19. I am satisfied with the toned prints but wondering if other developers may provide an even greater range of tones. Ansco 130 has a good reputation for this, though I do not know what differences could be seen in a print in Ansco 130 versus Dektol after toning in selenium.

Am I beating a dead horse here? Is there any point in looking into some alternative paper developers?
    I don't have experience with Ansco 130 although I have heard that it is an excellent developer. I do know that the MAS Amidol formula is a highly energetic developer capable of printing very deep and convincing blacks. I have recently with the help of Jorge formulated a catechol/pyrogallol/phenidone paper developer that is very energetic and probably the best paper developer that I have used next to the MAS Amidol formula. Formulas for both the Amidol and Pyro Plus Paper developer are found on www.unblinkingeye.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    we do a similar class every year and the leading winners for the past few years are LPD 1 :4 and Ansco 130 1:2. Which just goes to show "whatever floats your boat". That class will begin again in mid june so it will be interesting to see what happens this year.

Images
    I never found a significant difference in paper developers until I tried 130, with which I'm able to get a beautiful range of tones, and especially deep blacks. It's not a huge difference compared to Dektol or Ilford Universal, but it's there.

Where 130 really shines is in the life of the working solution. I had working solution that was well over 6 months old and was dark as could be, but still worked just fine.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Agfa Multigrade Fiber does not contain incooperated developer. I tested this for lith printing. Other Agfa Fibers like Brovira and the last Portriga contain developer
    Colour? We can always use an airbrush later...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you expose and develope accordingly you can get the max black out of a paper with about everything. See also Richard Henry's "Controls in Black and White Photography" who took a deeper look into this than probably most
    of us did.

Over the years I used Eukobrom, Dokumol, Neutol NE, Neutol wa; Neutol plus, Ansco 130, D72 and others. Most of their differences can be adjusted for in the process the one exception being print tone. With respect to Dmax: No difference, nil, nada!

Stefan

PS.: Ansco 130 keeps *very* well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree - to a point. Max blacks are not a problem The problem is producing maximum blacks plus rich microtonality.

Beware! Pursuit of microtonality can lead you to the slippery slope of LF, ULF and contact printing on Azo!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin