Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,019   Online: 769

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The Kodak Process Thermometers are readily available, and are a great calibration standard for the home. Technically illegal to ship by USPS, however. (HazMat.) At least be sure the shipper puts a lot of plastic bags around it, so it doesn't drip if it breaks. (The USPS won't have a good sense of humor about Mercury dripping out of a package.)

The Weston "Miroband" dial thermometers are readily calibrated against one, they have the nut to turn the shaft with.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I thought digital thermometers were always accurate and more accurate than dial thermometers. I guess this case cleared any misconceptions on digital thermometers. I have a spirit type glass thermometer that I know is accurate to verify my dial thermometers. Don't like to use my glass one because I know I'll break it

Shooter
    35mm RF
    They can be more accurate but they do need to be cabibrated regularly, as does any thermometer, no thermometer holds its calibration forever digital or traditional.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Overnight my trusty long-column alcohol thermometer suddenly lost ONE whole Celsius degree. I was processing at 19°C without knowing it (of course my negs were a bit thin).

I had to check it against another tiny throwaway thermometer to realize what happened. Now I process my TRI-X at 21-sth and it seems to work.

So YES, buy two identical thermometers and check one against the other regularly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ummmmm....buy three. If you have two, they will probably never agree, and you won't know which one is wrong. If you have three, you can at least find the majority opinion

Actually, if you have one unbroken, etched-stem liquid-filled thermometer, you are all set. There is practically nothing that you can do to one of these to change its inherent calibration more than a tiny fraction of a degree, and even the immersion depth correction is usually negligible.

It is the type which has a cardboard scale glued to the thermometer inside a housing that are really problematic. If you are lucky, the cardboard falls off completely rather than shifting lengthwise slightly.

Your reference thermometer doesn't even have to be all that accurate (in the sense of indicating temperature with respect to absolute zero) as long as the reading precision will let you see an error of a degree or so.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin