Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,710   Online: 701

Pyrocat HD for 35mm.?

I am more than pleased with Pyrocat HD for 5x4 film, but am wondering if this developer has any advantages over developers such as Rodinal or D76 1:1 for 35 mm film. By "advantages" I mean things like retention of film speed, contrast control leading to ease of printing, highlight and shadow detail, and sharpness. I'd have fun finding out for myself but I' temporarily without a darkroom. This is not an idle question, as I am still shooting and developing film, but can't evaluate the results at the moment.
    I mostly use 400 ASA film and like gritty grainy results.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pyrocat-HD and 35mm film will give you "retention of film speed, contrast control leading to ease of printing, highlight and shadow detail, and sharpness."

It doesn't do gritty and grainy very well - try a low dilution of Rodinal.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Tom; thank you for your comments.

Alan Clark

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I would not expect to blow up any 35mm negative done in PMK past 5"x7" - unless you are going for a gritty look. These days - all my 35mm is Tri-x in Microdol. Or Tech Pan. It is terrible to have a fantastic 35mm negative and only be able to enjoy it as an 8x10 - Which is not to be confused with an 8x10 contact print.
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about PMK - I've never tried it.

We were discussing Pyrocat-HD. My experience with Pyrocat and EI 400 films is that the combination produces fine grain (due in large part to the stain image) and high image acutance.

I prefer the results I obtain with Tri-x in Rodinal and Tri-x in Pyrocat-HD versus Tri-x in Microdol.

Are you developing Tech Pan in Microdol too?
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've used 35mm in PMK and it looks very nice. I've found the tones are still smooth and there is still minimal grain.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin