Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,769   Online: 953

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wood is porous and would retain some of the chemicals mixed so probably should be discarded after use. Wooded tongs are usually color coded and at least would stay in the same type of chemical with use.

I have several and all are plastic except one is stainless steel.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm with Maris too.

I mix my Xtol with distilled water from the grocery, I keep the stock solution in a wine box and working solution in an old 1.75 liter Margarita mix bottle, filter the working solution once in a while with coffee filters, and replenish at 70ml.

No problems.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Very interesting indeed.

I mixed five liters of XTOL a month ago, and as I had read from hrst's experiments earlier, I decided to leave one liter to the lab and put the rest to refrigerator to wait for use. I just don't shoot enough film to use five liters of developer diluted 1+1 in six months. I just checked the ones in the fridge, and they have same kind of fluffy goo as in Ihmemies's photo. I'm going tonight to the lab, I'll check the remaining developer there for the flakes, if I remember.

I also mixed the developer with local (Espoo) tap water, so it's more than likely that the flakes are some kind of organic products. Mold, fungus, or something. It is quite clear to me that oxidation, or storage in soda bottles, have nothing to do with this stuff.

I actually doubt that the flakey stuff hasn't got that much to do with your storage life problem, but it just happens to occur the same time. (Though, it also could be that the flake-causing-organic-creatures are consuming some vital developer component.) I will get back with my results when I have developed something in the refrigerated XTOL.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Xtol needs to mixed with water up to the recommended hot temp, around 90 deg F. Don`t do the room temp stuff.
    Not true.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    Don`t store colder that 68 F/20 C. or you can get precepitation.
    Also not true. Or at least, not at anything 10-20C.

Anyways, I think this guy's issue is one of non-distilled water and containers which allow an ample exposure to light. One can buy 2gal of distilled water at any supermarket for around 2-3$. It's not that much an issue to worry about. Surely one can "haul" a gallon in each arm, or are we that lazy these days?
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    ...Anyways, I think this guy's issue is one of non-distilled water and containers which allow an ample exposure to light. One can buy 2gal of distilled water at any supermarket for around 2-3$...
    I've mixed Xtol with deionised water and got a very fine precipitate at the bottles. It doesn't cause me much concern though, I can always filter it. My batch wasn't exposed to light either, so that doesn't seem to be a cause. BTW, real distilled water requires a great amount of energy and 2-3$ for 2 US gals is a bit suspicious.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    I've mixed Xtol with deionised water and got a very fine precipitate at the bottles. It doesn't cause me much concern though, I can always filter it. My batch wasn't exposed to light either, so that doesn't seem to be a cause. BTW, real distilled water requires a great amount of energy and 2-3$ for 2 US gals is a bit suspicious.
    We can buy 1gal of distilled water (not deionised/demineralized) water here for 1$/gallon (California). Looking at the gallon in front of me, it's labeled as "steam distillation, filtration, and ozonation." The source company seems to be "Advanced H2O LLC."
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There seems to be a big difference in price of distilled water in different parts of the world. In Wisconsin at Walmart, I recently paid 85 cents per gallon.

It also has been noted by a knowledgeable poster (Photo Engineer) that clear bottles are OK. However, I still prefer amber glass, old habits die hard.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Anon Ymous View Post
    I don't know what's suspicious about it. I pay about 85 cents for a gallon of steam distilled water at my supermarket.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    I don't know what's suspicious about it. I pay about 85 cents for a gallon of steam distilled water at my supermarket.
    Over here, the price for 4l (~ 1US gal) of deionised water is 0,95€. Steam distilled would cost more, but it depends on the cost of energy too...

Shooter
    35mm
    I checked also the XTOL stored in the lab, and it had the same let's-call-it-fungus. As I looked at the other bottles I have, it seems to me that the fungus is everywhere: in wetting agent, in print dev, in D-76… The only chemical that lacks it, is fixer. I sure am going to use distilled water instead of tap water the next time I mix anything.

Anyhow, for me the fungus does not seem to alter the developing results.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin