Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,918   Online: 793

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ok, I'll bite- what's chinese toner?
    "Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It is a funky toning technique named after China Hamilton.

The print is first toned in selenium. Strong ratio 1:5 or even 1:2. Washed then placed in this strange iodine bleach made from iodine crystals and methylated alcohol.
    The print will turn completely red orange; then it is placed in a weak hypo until it begins to clear. The trick is to vary the bleach or ixer times to create spliting. Of course results will also depend on paper types.

AND YOU THOUGHT I WAS JUST MESSING WITH YOUR HEAD

Shooter
    35mm
    AFAIK many rubbing alcohols have other stuff mixed in them (smell, pretends it's more effective, etc).
    So, if one intends to use it for photo, make sure it's pure isopropyl.

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    So the ultimate effect is a red-orange image on a white background?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    not in my case, altho the results can get pretty red-orange. It is one of those " you have to see it to understand".
    There are other ways to get an orange effect that is probably easier. Hypo alum and then blue gold toner will give an interesting red-orange effect.

This is more a rust to brown effect that i want to create. selienum purple brown with a hint of red-orange, if that makes any sense. I will know it when i see it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Methylated spirit is ethyl alcohol (the sort you drink) mixed with some chemicals to make you NOT want to drink it. The purpose is to enable alcohol to be bought at prices that do not include the massive tax in most countries for high alcohol beverages. It is used as a solvent for some adhesives, wood stains, cleaning etc. There are some people on the fringe who are "metho drinkers" with very bad effects on their health.

In this part of the world, the main "denaturants" are methyl alcohol, methyl isobutyl ketone, and denatonium benzoate. Methyl alcohol should act pretty much like ethyl alcohol, but I don't know anything about the others which are there in very small quantities, probably for their unappetizing odour.

Images
    Methylated alcohol could be denatured grain alchol, as methanol is often used as a denaturant. Methanol and isopropanol are both used as gasolinr drying agents and may be had cheaply at auto supply stores. Many things that are soluble in methanol are also soluble in propylene glycol, which is a good deal safer than any of the common alcohols. You will find it in the "table of contents" of medicine, shampoo, cosmetic, etc.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well getting to the root of this post- are there any examples of this "Chinese Toner" on the web to see and/or will you be posting results from all this advice?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can buy ethol alcohol that has methyl alcohol added to it to make in not drinkable. They call it denatured alcohol. It is used as a thinner for shelac and is in the paint section. I think my local hardware store also stocks pure methol alcohol as well.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't know if there are any examples "out there". there are a couple in Tim Rudman's Toning book. I may have to go goggle and see what happens.
    When i get finished later in the summer and when i figure out how to post them i will be glad to do so. I have also promised to post some bromoils. I have a full plate this summer but hope to get moving on these shortly.

I was going to check the hardware store and now that i know it is also a thinner i will definitely hit the paint section.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin