Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,260   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

methylated alsohol

No, i am not interested in sipping the above as i wait for prints to wash; however, i am trying to find out were to buy some (besides the Formulary).

Any ideas?

I did a google search which was very funny. First 15 pages had url with either English or Irish (and I am Irish) locations. Someone had a chart drawn up for a variety of countries as to were and what brands to buy. I believe they were using this for camping stoves. Can't be found in Sibera. Just a bit of trival for a game show.

Tried the first aid supply shelves at a couple of stores, but I think i need to find a more specific or larger drugstore.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd check with large scientific suppliers. You might need to do some paperwork to buy from some of them, but you can usually find just about anything.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you looking for Methyl Alcohol (aka Methanol)? If so, you should be able to find it in a large drug store or a a hardware store.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    If it's methanol, be careful with this stuff. It can be very nasty to one's health..

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    thanks all, I would not be surprised to need paper work, etc for this stuff. I am sure I am already on at least one government list somewhere. But then, i would not be the only photographer found on those lists. For those of use who mix a lot of formula from scratch ; we have a lot of strange bottles hanging around.

I know this stuff is nasty. In the 20's people used to drink this stuff when they couldn't get alochol and of course they died, went blind or something else just as ugly.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ann

AFAIK one can buy methanol in the US in gas stations. It's used to clean gas tanks or the like.
    Patrick Gainer, that shows up in APUG occasionally (username gainer) and more frequenty in photo.net can tell you the right name for it.

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What will you be using the methyl alcohol for, Ann? There may be a safer alternative.
    Tom Hoskinson

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    chinese toner

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Iodine is quite soluble in ethyl alcohol (ethanol), 214 grams per liter at 25 deg. C - according to Merck. So, very high proof drinkable alcohols ought to work.

I would expect to find that Iodine is also soluble in Isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol -Supermarket).

Iodine is only slightly soluble in water (0.3 grams per liter).

Of course, the Iodine is very toxic all by itself. Hope you plan to use Nitrile gloves.

http://chemdat.merck.de/documents/td...047/104760.pdf
    Tom Hoskinson

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is interesting to know. one formula i am looking at indicates methylated alcohol, the other methylated spirits.

Isopropyl certainly would be cheaper. But Everclear may be more fun

I do plan on using Nitrile gloves. When it comes to all toners i always wear gloves. Insist that my students do and will not allow pregnant woman to take any of my toning classes. Better safe than sorry, especially with the chemicals involved with toning.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin