Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,857   Online: 1015

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: JandC Pro 100

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am glad to see so many test the new J&C film and report the results. The sheet film price certainly is tempting, but I would like to see some photos posted. Is the sheet film base rigid or thin? How does it work with different developers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've uploaded a frame from the test 120 roll that I shot, and a 100% crop from the frame. Neither the frame nor the crop were processed in any way other than allowing the scanner to choose levels automatically. (The picture is crap; I wanted to get a look at grain in both detailed and flat areas, and this shot gave me that.)

The white panel on the garage door is definately blown on the negative. Judging from the other frames on the roll this is almost certainly either an exposure or processing error, not a problem with the film. The dark window (in the upper right of the full frame) has a lot more detail than I got in the scan. The range on this film looks really good to me, and I'm sure with some more formal development testing this film will be very good indeed.

Also note that the spots on the door are actually spots on the door, not dirt on the film or problems with the emulsion. My garage door is very dirty (who would have guessed with all of those spider webs?!?).

I've examined the whole roll through a loupe, and can find no emulsion problems with it. (I did find the code "SGPFF" printed a couple of times on the very edge of the film.)

The grain on the film is very smooth both on-screen after the scan and when examined under a loupe. Detail is very good. I suspect that I'll be very happy with this film in Rodinal (and I'm kicking myself for not trying Rodinal first), although I have no time left to test that theory before I leave for a few weeks.

I'll be interested to hear of any development times anyone comes up with for this film. I obviously need to run some test rolls, but couldn't resist running out and filling one roll with images before my upcoming trip. I'm glad I did, as I'm pretty sure I've found a new film to fall in love with. If the sheet film is this good, I know I'll be hooked.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I screwed up and sent the full frame scan to the Technical Gallery and the crop to the Standard Gallery. They're both there and both under my name...not sure how I managed to do this and don't have time to sort it out...but you can find them both under my name.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    I'll be interested to hear of any development times anyone comes up with for this film. I obviously need to run some test rolls, but couldn't resist running out and filling one roll with images before my upcoming trip. I'm glad I did, as I'm pretty sure I've found a new film to fall in love with. If the sheet film is this good, I know I'll be hooked.
    You can have a look at my sensitometric tests at <http://www.jangowski.de/sensitometry/>. In Germany, this film is sold as "Lucky SDH100", I tested this film, its brother SD400 and a few others with a few developers.

Especially the SD100 is very sensitive to small variations in processing. A friend of mine tried to find useable times with Rodinal 1+50 and Spur HRX, but found that even a 30s difference in processing time will take the film from thin, underdeveloped negs to dense overdevelopment. I'm using a ATL3 with its excellent temperature and agitation characteristics and had no problem getting very consistent negatives.

We also found large volumes of Iodide in the fixer after fixing a few SDH100 film (my friend is a chemist and can make quantiative analysis). We suspect the SDH100 is an T-crystal film, maybe an offspring of T-Max100. After all Kodak helped to modernize the Lucky film works a few years ago and owns part of it. The finicky processing and the Iodide in the fixer points to T-crystals in the film.

All in all, the film is fine and inexpensive.

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Martin-

Things just might get a little more interesting given your notes. When I was looking at the film on the light table, the tonality reminded me in odd ways of Acros and/or T-max, but given that I was just guessing wildly at the development times I dismissed my suspicions that it is a t-grain film. If the development time is this sensitive and there are high iodide levels in the fix, then it seems almost likely that it is t-grain.

Thanks for posting the link to your data.

I do have some notes from a few months ago when I found good times for Rodinal 1:100 with Acros and T-max; perhaps I'll use those as a starting point with the new film.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    To J&C

Any chance this film will be sold in 35mm, 100ft rolls?

Jorge O
    Curitiba - nice place to live, if you don't care about the weather...

We are hoping to have new 35mm 100 and 400 films in a couple of months.

100 foot rolls are also possible but not in the initial release.

To clarify on the post above regarding 35mm 100 and 400 films. We've had numerous emails on this topic.

We will be carrying the Lucky SHD 100 and 400 films in both 35mm and 120 in a couple of months. Bulk rolls are possible.

The JandC PRO films are not Lucky SHD 100

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jandc-

Can you give us some idea of when you'll have development information for this film on your web site? Also, can you confirm or deny that this is a t-grain film?

Thanks for your help.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, I see, the Lucky SHD is different fromt he JandC pro. Somoene on photo.net was saying that this Lucky film was similar to Verichrome but the only thing I saw on jandc was the PRO, no Lucky film. What will be the pricing of the Lucky film compared to the Pro film?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin