Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,972   Online: 944

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom,
    The question of what GAF "Universal Developer" was has been kicked around on various forums - all without a definite answer.

Like jnanian, I used "Universal Developer" in the late 60s, using one dilution for paper and another for film. Somewhere I got the idea it was Ansco 130, but I have not been able to find a confirmation. All of my Agfa/Ansco/GAF literature lists 130 only as Universal Paper Developer. If you've got a reference saying "Universal Developer" was Ansco 130, I'd appreciate knowing what it is.
    Thanks,
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Juan,

When I checked out the earlier sources:
    "Earlier sources listed Ansco 130 as "Universal Developer" and recommended it for both paper and film development."

They turned out to be references to jnanian, yourself and a few others - I found no definitive literature citations equating Agfa-Ansco/GAF 130 with Agfa-Ansco/GAF Universal Developer.

German Agfa 130 is a Metol-Hydroquinone paper developer.

Agfa 122 is a paper developer similar, but not identical to Ansco/GAF 130 (Metol-Hydroquinone-Glycin).

German Agfa 8 and Agfa 72 are Glycin + alkali film developers.

See: http://translate.google.com/translat...UTF-8%26sa%3DN
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To clarify my last post, Agfa 122 is a Hydroquinone/Glycin paper developer, it does not contain Metol.

Gevaert 261 is a Hydroquinone/Glycin paper developer very similar to Agfa 122.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tom, How does Bryant Lab's pricing on Glycin compare to Photographers Formulary? I had thought that Formulary was the only current supplier of Glycin today. It is nice to know that an alternative exists. I have been intrigued by Glycin based developers for some time but haven't taken the time to explore them. What characteristics would you attribute to them, considering your limited experience at this time? If you have used Michael Smith's Amidol formula and have the opportunity to try 130, I would appreciate your thoughts on the comparative merits of these two developers. Thanks for your work on this.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Don, I have tried Photographer's Formulary 130 Paper Developer with AZO - although nice enough, I prefer catechol paper dev with AZO hands down. I am interested how well a glycin neg dev works with Efke PL100 for printing on AZO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don and Francesco,

Mark (Byrant Labs) is working with his supplier to get a price that is competitive with PF. The first step was to establish if the compound was really photographic Glycin.

I will be exploring and comparing print developers (with Azo & Forte paper) over the next few weeks. I plan to compare Amidol, Ansco 130, PPPD and an Ascorbic Acid print developer for starters. The films will be Efke 100, J&C 400 and TMY 400. My baseline film developer is Pyrocat-HD.

I have done some film development testing on TMY with Agfa 8 and will do some more, both with Agfa 8 and with Ansco 130 (starting with a 1:10 dilution of the stock solution).

Initial results with the Agfa 8/Kodak TMY were encouraging - excellent acutance with minimum grain and good midtone separation at an EFS of 200. Shadow detail was ok - but not as good as I would like. Whether there will be sufficient density for Azo contact printing is another question - more testing is needed.

Francesco, on my "to do list" is substituting catechol for the hydroquinone in Ansco 130. A second "to do" is to add a smidgen of phenidone to the recipe.

Another avenue to explore is split development. I am mixing some Ansco 120 for this purpose.

By the way, I am about to become the proud father of a new Wehman 8x10 Field Camera (with 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 backs). The blessed event should occur either Friday or Monday.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Tom, grazzie for your forthcoming research - especially on Ansco 130 with catechol but for me more importantly on split dev - especially in relation to AZO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin