Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,154   Online: 874

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Agfa 8, a Glycin based film developer

I recently received for evaluation from Bryant Laboratory, several grams of N-(4-Hydroxyphenyl)glycine: (C8H9NO3 : F.W. 167.16) CAS # 122-87-2. Task: Verify if it is indeed the developing reagent Glycin.

I completed the first tests of the N-(4-Hydroxyphenyl)glycine Sunday. It worked very well in the Agfa 8 film developer formulation. My conclusion is that it is the "Real Stuff."

Agfa 8

Deionized Water @ 125 Deg F 750ml
    Sodium Sulfite 12.5 grams
    Glycin 2.0 grams
    Potassium Carbonate 25 grams
    Deionized Water to 1000ml

I exposed landscape subjects on 3 rolls of Kodak 400 TMY 120 roll film at EI 400 (bracketed exposures).

I developed the 3 rolls in small tanks at 71 Deg. F with minimal agitation (2 gentle torus inversions every minute). A deionized water rinse was given after development, followed by fixing in an alkaline non-hardening fixer.

I developed one roll in Agfa 8 for 11 minutes at 71 Deg. F.

The film developed cleanly, with excellent uniformity and showed very good tonal separation with fine grain and high image sharpness. I scanned the film at 4800dpi (optical) and made some 8x8 proofs. I also made 20X proofs of small sections of the negs. Grain was not evident at 20X.

I developed the 2 additional (duplicate) rolls of 400 TMY 120 (all 3 rolls - same emulsion #). I developed one roll in Pyrocat-HD (2:2:100). I developed the other roll in Pat Gainer's Phenidone/Vitamin C/Triethanolamine Developer (P-C-Tea).

Conclusions: Agfa 8 is a compensating developer. The results with Agfa 8/TMY compared favorably with the Pyrocat-HD/TMY and Gainer P-C-Tea/TMY results.

I used the Agfa 8 undiluted (I suspect that undiluted or at 1:1 or greater dilutions it would be a good Stand or Semi-Stand Developer).

The developer color was unchanged after 1 roll - so I saved it. I will test it periodically to assess its effective working life.

The Agfa 8/TMY combo performed so well that I will do additional testing to fine tune the exposure/development procedure. I will try it next on LF sheet film.

Tomorrow, I will use the remaining reagent to mix a stock solution of Ansco 130.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'd be interested to see a side-by-side comparison of AGFA 8 and Ansco 130. While I haven't done it, 130 can be used as a rather favorable film developer from what I understand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, why not? If I leave the bromide out (which I was going to do anyway) I could dilute it 3 or 4 parts water to 1 part Ansco 130 and try it with film.

By the same token, I had planned to try Pat Gainer's P-C-Tea as a paper developer - diluted 15 parts water to 1 part P-C-Tea instead of 50 to 1.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    tom

if you use ansco 130 for film
    dilute about 1:5 - you should be okay.
    ( i've been using it for sheet film for a while )

if you can get your hands on gaf universal developer ...
    that is the nicest film developer i have ever gotten my hands on ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, jnanian

My 1977 Photo Lab Index lists GAF (Ansco) 130 as "Universal Paper Developer." Earlier sources listed Ansco 130 as "Universal Developer" and recommended it for both paper and film development. As a film developer, dilutions of 1:5 and 1:4 were both mentioned.

GAF 130 (1977 Photo Lab Index)

Water (125 F) 750ml
    Metol 2.2 grams
    Sodium Sulfite 50 grams
    Hydroquinone 11 grams
    Sodium Carbonate 78 grams
    Potassium Bromide 5.5 grams
    Glycin 11 grams
    Water to make 1000ml
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You say you bracketed the shots. What effective film speed did this developer seem to give you?

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The best negs on the Agfa 8 test roll were shot at EI 200. However, the development time was a WAG. I need to do some additional testing and densitometry.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I recently received for evaluation from Bryant Laboratory, several grams of N-(4-Hydroxyphenyl)glycine: (C8H9NO3 : F.W. 167.16) CAS # 122-87-2.
    -------------------------------------

Are you saying the Bryant Lab product is a direct replacement for glycin in photo chemistry?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi tom

wow, your PLI states that it was for both ...!
    i have a PLI from the 40s and it only states it as a paper developer
    and mentions ansco 125 for film.

depending on the age of the developer, i have used dilutions from anywhere from 1:4 - 1:10 or so. i develop by inspection, so, it makes things a little easier.

i hope juan is reading this - maybe the mystery of "gaf universal developer" has been solved! <g>

good luck with your tests tom

- john

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Thanks, jnanian

My 1977 Photo Lab Index lists GAF (Ansco) 130 as "Universal Paper Developer." Earlier sources listed Ansco 130 as "Universal Developer" and recommended it for both paper and film development. As a film developer, dilutions of 1:5 and 1:4 were both mentioned.

GAF 130 (1977 Photo Lab Index)

Water (125 F) 750ml
    Metol 2.2 grams
    Sodium Sulfite 50 grams
    Hydroquinone 11 grams
    Sodium Carbonate 78 grams
    Potassium Bromide 5.5 grams
    Glycin 11 grams
    Water to make 1000ml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bruce,
    I am saying that the Bryant Lab product is described (by Bryant's supplier) with the same molecular formula and molecular weight of photographic Glycin. In my tests, it behaved exactly like photographic Glycin when compounded into Agfa 8 film developer and used to develop film. In my opinion, it is photographic Glycin.

I used Agfa 8 as a test vehicle because it is a simple, single reducing reagent film developer - nothing else in the recipe is a reducing agent.

The reason for perfoming practical confirmatory testing with film, is that there is an enormous amount of conflicting information in various publications and on the internet about Glycin.

A Google search on Glycin will inevitably turn up a lot of hits on Glycin and Glycine - there are several compounds with these names and similar names, but with different molecular formulas. The principal one that shows up has medical/biochemical applications and is useless as a photographic developing reagent.
    Tom Hoskinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin