Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,934   Posts: 1,557,035   Online: 1241

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    KOG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Search for amber glass boston rounds. That is what most bottle suppliers call them.

Kevin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    My darkroom doubles as a laundry room. On an ordinary day, the room gets lots of light from a window. In my case, the brown bottles preserve my chemicals.
    Ok people, ante up. Show me a photo textbook that illustrates a photolytic reaction with a developer that does not take blasting with UV or sunlight!

We used clear glass and thick plastic bottes with corks or screw caps to store our developers. Our lab storage areas were brightly lit with fluorescent lights for 8 hours / day. There was NO PROBLEM.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Ok people, ante up. Show me a photo textbook that illustrates a photolytic reaction with a developer that does not take blasting with UV or sunlight!

We used clear glass and thick plastic bottes with corks or screw caps to store our developers. Our lab storage areas were brightly lit with fluorescent lights for 8 hours / day. There was NO PROBLEM.

PE
    Amber is $1.86, clear is $1.80. I can spend $0.06 more for the darker one. Plus it looks better than clear imo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, and it is harder to make sure that it is clean of grunge next time you want to use the amber bottle.

And, you cannot see clearly if there are suspended particles or if the solution is all completely dissolved of particulate matter. If it has gone bad, you cannot see if it has discolored.

BTDT.

Buy 10 clear bottles and save the 60 cents for your next roll of film.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I use wine bottles, but not for the green glass. I use Vacuvin stoppers and the pump they come with to pump out some of the air. The resulting partial vacuum makes a good seal. Developer is a reducing agent, and as PE has already said, you want to keep it away from oxygen in the air. This might be overkill, but the stoppers were cheap and have lasted for years.
    Mark

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

The big problem is AIR. Oxygen and Carbon Dioxide are your enemies.

PE
    Would something like 'finish preserve' (argon) http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...190,44133&ap=1
    be suitable for displacing air in containers?
    I've used this stuff when recapping varnish etc., tins, and it does the trick.

Personally, I'm using some old lab amber bottles, some apothecary style glass-stoppered ones that I inherited (very cool looking!), and Nalgene water containers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samcomet View Post
    I use Grolsch Beer bottles that are dark green with rubber stopper "flip top" caps....and besides I get to drink the beer first!! They also come in a variety of sizes. cheers!
    Another vote for the Grolsch bottles. If you can find Fischers' beer, the bottles are a little larger and brown.

Party anyone?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN2522.jpg  
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    Would something like 'finish preserve' (argon) http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...190,44133&ap=1
    be suitable for displacing air in containers?
    I've used this stuff when recapping varnish etc., tins, and it does the trick.

Personally, I'm using some old lab amber bottles, some apothecary style glass-stoppered ones that I inherited (very cool looking!), and Nalgene water containers.
    Finish Preserve is Argon gas and is very well suited to preserving Developer in any type of container!

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, and it is harder to make sure that it is clean of grunge next time you want to use the amber bottle.
    Exactly...I keep my dektol in a clear glass jar and I can easily see if it's getting a bit too dark brown even for proof prints. If the bottle was brown, I wouldn't be able to tell.

I like the wire-bail beer bottles because one can't lose the lids, but it's difficult to pour back into them without a funnel, so I've been transitioning to wide-mouth salsa bottles for print chemistry.

Also I have never found a good 2L glass container, so I'm storing my D23 in PET cranberry juice bottles. No problem so far, but the inside of the plastic gets a strange dirt-like coating on it after a couple months. I never noticed this forming on glass bottles. You can wipe it off; it really looks like dirt and forms an even coating on the inside of the bottle. I threw out my last batch out of caution, but it happened with my current 3 month old batch too. The developer seems to work fine still but it's a bit puzzling.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ah alright, i think i'll get the clear ones then!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin