Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,606   Online: 978

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

David,
    Out of curiosity, every time these discussions come up, West Coast Imaging is always suggested. Is there no place in NYC that will do an equally careful job of scanning?
    Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    David,
    Out of curiosity, every time these discussions come up, West Coast Imaging is always suggested. Is there no place in NYC that will do an equally careful job of scanning?
    Tom
    Although I'm not David and can't speak for NY, I know of at least three places in the Detroit area that can do a very good job of scanning and output. I also suspect that there are more than that here and far more in the larger markets. WCI suffers from extremely good word of (internet) mouth.

As mentioned - a drumscanned 4x5 film to 30x40" is a piece of cake. I have a 24x20" print hanging on the wall right now - I can just see the grain if I put my nose to the print. The film was a 6x7 Velvia and printed on an Epson 7500. The new Epson 7600 print would probalby be even better.

Also at a scan resolution of 4000 a 4x5 scan would give you a 900+Meg file. At a print resolution of 360 you have a 44x55" print. At a print resolution of 480 you have 33x41" print. Enough for a nice print on an Epson.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I don't really think of 30x40" as extremely large. It's a big print, but not out of the range of what many people typically do for exhibition from negs anywhere from medium format to 8x10".
    Here's the ANALOG answer. You can get darned good prints from wallpaper troughs and a shelf over the sink to hold one mammoth tray to wash oversized prints. 8x10 negatives enlarge extremely well if have a good negative. Edward Weston would sit up in his grave and loan me money if he saw how I do it in my darkroom, but the point is I do do it in my darkroom, and the results up to 32x40" are sharp and professional.

Now, with regards to mounting....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, there are places in New York City that do this stuff, but they are paying for NYC overhead and charging for it. WCI has also been at it longer than most of the New York labs, the level of customer service is very high, and their prices are reasonable for the degree of quality they provide. If I wanted to do the scans more locally, I'd probably use NancyScans, but they are upstate, so I'd still have to ship the work out, plus I'd have to pay in-state sales tax.

New York is a strange place. Since Professional Camera Repair closed, I also ship out most of my repair work. Nippon Camera Service has a good reputation locally, but they don't particularly specialize in the equipment that I use. There is a tendency to think that because it is such a large city, you can get anything you want here, but it's not always true.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The traditional guy seems to be charging $69 a print. If going digital I would imagine the drum scan and print would cost far more than that? Atleast in New Zealand it's ludicris to get a drumscan and lightjet done..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    The traditional guy seems to be charging $69 a print. If going digital I would imagine the drum scan and print would cost far more than that? Atleast in New Zealand it's ludicris to get a drumscan and lightjet done..
    The print price alone would be almost twice that for a lambda, lightjet or equivelent. Scan prices seem to be all over the board but would be at least twice that for a drum scan. The nice thing about a scan is you get to keep the file (often an extra $10-20.00 for the cd). The down side of scans are the minimal spotting and quality of the CC done by some labs. This I suspect is one of the strengths of places like WCI. Photographers know the importance, and time needed to spot and cc -- I think the average joe is oblivious.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin