Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,261   Online: 999

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

Help! Residue in just-mixed developer

I made a 1-gallon batch of Microdol-X yesterday in a bucket, then developed a roll of Ilford's HP5-Plus. Examination of the negatives containing blank sky revealed particles based on something adhering to the glossy side of some of the negatives. I had strained the developer through a coffee filter, but the filter broke open at the bottom. A second filter also broke open. Can someone recommend an excellent, fail-proof way to strain/filter liquids? Thanks.

Images
    I have seen a small plug of loose cotton (Cottonball) in inside your funnel recommended but with the luck that you are having, it would probably fall through.

Does Kodak still make those two-piece filter funnels?
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    I have seen a small plug of loose cotton (Cottonball) in inside your funnel recommended but with the luck that you are having, it would probably fall through.
    I use the "cotton in the funnel" trick, just wet it and place it on the mesh in the funnel. No problems yet.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get those cup sized coffe filters at the grocery store. They work well in funnels.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Best filter material I've ever had for the darkroom was 300 mesh polyester silkscreen material. Wish I still had some!
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I use "cheesecloth" for filtering, works pretty good and should more sturdy than the coffee filters that are tearin on ya-

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mobtown_4x5
    more sturdy than the coffee filters
    Matt

The coffee filter papers will definitely tear if they are not supported adequately. Maybe you could get the filter funnel that was designed for the paper. I know that Melitta make one for their filter papers, and they make very good coffee. One of mine is 30 years old. Many shops do not stock it because they would rather sell you something much more complicated and short lived. (e.g. electric)

I mix developer and then decant it a few days later, leaving behind some sediment. There is some waste, though. I stand the bottle at an angle to get the sediment into the corner before I decant it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good recommendation John S.

When I need to filter photo solutions, I use a small Melitta cone and filter papers - have been using them for years. They are still available in my local supermarket.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why on earth are you mixing film developer in a bucket? You are inviting contamination. Why not mix it directly into a 1 gallon container. The 1 gallon bottles you buy windshield washer fluid in are perfect and cost less than an empty bottle. They can be discarded when the developer is used up.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    try the Melitta coffee filters. They are a cone style and they are made to sit in the funnel.

lee\c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin