Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,527   Posts: 1,598,398   Online: 1180

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Long ago I used a Nikon soft filter immediately below the enlarger lens with great results. I still have several photos on my wall and they frequently elicit a positive response from viewers.
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've used the AN glass from a 6x6 slide frame for 1/3 to 2/3 of the exposure time. Best effect, IMO...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you diffuse thru the camera lens the highlights bloom; if you diffuse the enlarging lens the shadows bloom. Or is it the other way around?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when
    they do it from religious conviction." -- Blaise Pascal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    Am I the only one to notice the difference between shadows bleeding out into highlights (enlarger diffusion) versus highlights bleeding out into shadows (camera diffusion)? The two effects are very different. The former effect just jumps out to my eyes. And although YMMV, I find the enlarger diffusion effect to be... unsettling. Again, YMMV.
    Ken
    As Ken points out the effect is different between camera and enlarger. Because of this you really need to decide which effect you want before you take the picture.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can get both effects at an enlarger if you make an interpositive...

Also, I have used smaller format slides to make larger format negs, i.e. using 35mm Astia to make an enlarged neg on 5x7 tmax. You can get some interesting tones.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    door screen in a filter holder. Tip from an old photog. You can cut holes for selective diffusion.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin