Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,346   Online: 768

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Diffusing prints

I have a few negatives which I'd like to give a more "ethereal" look. I've tried a few through tissue paper (so-so results) and vellum (terrible). I'd prefer an option that can be laid directly over the paper (or slightly raised above it), but I'm open to any ideas. Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have this funky old device called a "Pictrol"... basically a diaphram with clear plastic blades that can be dialed in or out. It attaches either to the camera lens or enlarger lens. This controls the amount of diffusion given the image. You might be able to find one out there.. pretty fun little thing.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    ...but I'm open to any ideas.
    Something to keep in mind here. It's the light that is always going to be diffused. So...

When you create the diffusion effect by placing the diffusing medium over the camera lens when creating the negative, you are causing the highlights (denser areas of the negative) to be softened.

When you try doing the same by placing the diffusing medium over the enlarging lens, you are now causing the shadows (denser areas of the print) to be softened.

Most viewers find the former effect to be often quite pleasing, but the latter effect to be somewhat strange.

Ken

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Try some crinkled cellophane or for heavier effects, get some black Tulle from the fabic shop and put it into an embroidery hoop.
    Kirk

For up from the ashes, up from the ashes, grow the roses of success!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a light smear of petroleum jelly on a filter over the lens(either enlarging or preferably taking)will give a nice lok depending on the amount of schmutz on the lens.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    Someone on a recent flickr thread mentioned a famous photog who blew cigarette smoke between paper and enlarger lens to get a diffuse effect. Might be worth a try...if you're a smoker that is

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pantyhose stretched out across an embroidery hoop works sorta well. I used nude, but I don't know if different colors will have different effects. It's not quite the same as tulle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Either pantyhose as Winger suggests (black), or try placing a plain plastic sleeve (you know, the ones you use for storing documents in) directly on top of the paper. Both work quite well. But as said, the diffusion of blacks into highlights does look strange and is, for some, an acquired taste. I like the ethereal effect, but warn you not to overdo it.
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Aquanet hair spray on mylar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a plastic baggie under the lens, about halfway btw lens and baseboard, for approx 1/4 to 1/2 the exposure time...beautiful effect with the right image.

You may have to go up a grade in contrast to keep the blacks where you want them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin