Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,332   Online: 1188

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rollei IR 400 in Rodinal ?

Greetings fellow apugers!

I just got back from a hiking trip with my RB67 (up a mountain) and I shot a roll of Rollei IR 400 with an R72 filter. After reading all of the differing opinions on the net I settled on metering at ISO 12 and bracketing. I will be souping this roll in Rodinal and I was wondering if any of you had any recommendations for dilution and developing times. The massive developing chart gives me 1:25 for 7.5 min at 20 degrees C. The iso on the chart is 400 (10-25) and the parentheses are for filtered shooting. I will probably go with that dilution/time unless any of you can recommend anything better.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds good to me. Show us your pix when you are done.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Will do! I should have these souped and scanned tomorrow night.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Personally, I wouldn't use rodinal; this film is grainy to begin with and rodinal will not be kind to it. But yes, do share your results.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This was shot on Rollei IR 400 with an R72, metered to EI 12, and developed in HC110 dil B:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails forest01d.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rollei IR 400 is not grainy in my book. Not at all! I would purposefully use Rodinal on it just to get sharper grain. Efke IR 820C, on the other hand, is quite grainy.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The film is drying now, and the negatives look good. I only managed to get 2 shots due to bracketing (first time using this film), but looking at the negatives they look good. I was not really worried about grain considering this is 120 film, and from eyeballing the negative the grain looks pretty small. I will post the results as soon as this film dries and I can get it scanned.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Who ever took the included photo is to be congratulated! That is an excellent IR photo. As an IR worker. getting one like that is quite an accomplishment indeed. I have tried it for years and never had one that good. Good work!
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whlogan View Post
    Who ever took the included photo is to be congratulated! That is an excellent IR photo. As an IR worker. getting one like that is quite an accomplishment indeed. I have tried it for years and never had one that good. Good work!
    Logan
    I'm assuming you are referring to my photo above. If so, thank you.

You probably don't want to hear that that was from my very first experiment with IR sensitive film

I can only attribute this to three things:

1) Blind beginner's luck!;
    2) All sorts of great information and references found by me through the assistance of many here on APUG; and
    3) The inherent suitability of Mamiya TLRs for this sort of work.

Here is a more recent experiment - this time using the Ilford SFX near infrared film:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010-03-03-19h-campbell.jpg  
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ok here are the scans, straight from the scanner aside from rotating them.

I would have liked more separation between the rocks and the trees, but overall I am pleased.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin