Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,932   Posts: 1,556,984   Online: 1047

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Washing sheet film in print washer?

I have a Zone VI 11x14 acrylic print washer. I am wondering if anyone uses their print washers to wash 8x10 or larger sheet film? It seems to me like it would work fine but I have not tried it. Maybe the film would not 'float' enough and stick to the walls? If using a printwasher would not work what are the other options? I would like to be able to wash several sheets at once and not run the risk of scratches. Thanks

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sure, it works, I do it with mine. Remember film needs a lot less washing than paper, and even if the back sticks to the acrylic, it does not matter, the important thing is to keep the emulsion exposed to running water.

Used to use it alot for film. Removing every other divider makes it easier to get my fingers in there and the film "seems" to sit more to my liking. Now, however, I just wash it trays, easier for the limited amount of film I wash in one session......lyle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "Removing every other divider makes it easier"

good idea

Images
    The guy at Cascade washer used to sell a Kodak xray film clip that allowed you to hang sheet film in such print washers. I can't image that Kodak still sells these, but yes, sheet film, even small sheet film can be washed in print washers.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I also add my hearty"Yes." Actually two yesses because I agree that film invariably sticks to the partitions. It is advisable that you remove the negative and flip it back to front half way through the wash. Also don't skimp on the wash time. I know that film washes faster than fiber based paper, but if I don't thoroughly wash (moderate flow rate for 45 min.) I get a residue on the negatives and have to rewash.
    I used to wash in a tray, but watching the negatives swirl around I feared greatly for the emulsion.
    I do however return the washed negatives to a tray with fresh water and Photoflow before hanging to dry. This is important for larger negatives.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin